26. Ghosts Down the Corridor

I woke up to darkness

I woke up to darkness. Blinking a few times, my eyes adjusted to the moonlit twilight. I looked down at the heavy bundle that was half-way draped over my stomach and emanated heat. Identifying it as the upper half of a sleeping Nate, I realized that I had fallen asleep in his bed.

My frown deepened and I looked at the digital alarm clock on his nightstand.

It was 12 pm. Shit.

My parents were probably going crazy by now.

I pushed Nate off me, who mumbled something incoherent and reached out his arms. I quickly dodged him. Instead, he got hold of the covers and snuggled up against them.

I tip toed around his room to collect my sprawled pieces of clothing in the flashlight of my cell phone.

"Y/n," Nate mumbled and I spun around, just to find him deeply asleep, mumbling into the cushion.

With a last adoring look at the cutely sleeping Nate, I sneaked off, across the gallery and down the st-

"AHHHHH!"

"GNAHHHHHHH!"

I yelled as a figure hurled themselves at me with a bloodcurdling scream.

My back hit the floor as I wrestled with what I now realized was a female body.

"Help! Heeelp! Naaate!!" The figure sobbed.

"Mum," I heard a familiar male voice behind me, before I was separated from the woman.

"Mum, it's okay. It's okay. She's a friend of mine."

The light went on. I heaved myself into a sitting position.

"Y/n, are you okay?" I looked up into Nate's worried eyes, then nodded groggily.

He turned towards the woman that had crouched on the floor, arms slung around her legs, rocking back and forth. Her whole body shook and trembled.

Nate squatted down and took her into his arms.

"It's okay, mum. I'm so sorry, I should have told you I have a guest. I'm sorry, it's my fault this happened," he whispered while he stroked her back soothingly.

When she looked at me, the long blond locks fell out of her face and I could see clearly where Nate's beauty came from. Even despite the dark circles under her eyes and the papery skin that looked pale in an unhealthy way.

"A-are you okay?" She asked me.

I quickly nodded and tried to give her a reassuring smile.

"I'm fine. It was just a little shock."

I stood up.

"T-this is s-so embarrassing," she sobbed into her son's neck, trying to hide her face, "I-I'm such an embarrassment," I heard her breathe.