7. In Her Garden

The Reom mansion was seated in an expansive well maintained English garden

The Reom mansion was seated in an expansive well maintained English garden. Lanes of shining white pebble stones were framed by meticulously trimmed lanes of boxwood. Pink roses were seated to climb the wall of the mansion in tasteful intervals and to intertwine with the gazebos that popped up here and there.

Large stone vases at the end of every lane wore white patina, reminding of the splendour of bygone renaissance times in which this kind of vases reminded of the splendour of bygone antique times. And I was sure, back in the days of the romans, these vases reminded of the splendour of even older epochs.

My family's garden was like a little speck of wildlife in this vast park of accuracy. As fascinated as I was with the noble garden surrounding it, I felt nowhere more at home than between the gnarled plum trees and untamed daylilies shooting out of the wild bushes that surrounded the grass.

I spent the whole summer there. Reading, daydreaming and munching the garden's fruits. We didn't have the money to travel, but this garden was the perfect holiday destination, so it didn't bother me much.

Right now, I sat on a chair under an old plum tree and red a chapter in my textbook for history class. It was Sunday. After Nate had made clear that he didn't support the bullying, the rest of the week had been uneventful and calm. No one had dared to even look at me anymore. Hebe and Svenja had been especially nice and rueful towards me.

I could only shake my head and wonder when I thought about it. Why did he side with me? Why did he care? Maybe they felt like their revenge was taken away from them since they wanted to be the only ones who pestered me? But then, why did Dante care to apologize to me? Why hadn't they already made a move to strike?

Sighing, I leaned my head back against the comfortable chair and blinked into the golden afternoon sun that sneaked through the treetop.

I looked up when I heard rustling and male voices. My eyebrows rose in disbelieve when I saw three familiar males hop nonchalantly over the wooden fence of my family's garden. Am I hallucinating?

I jumped up when they strolled towards me, hands in their pockets, taking a look around as if they had every right to be uninvited in my garden.

"Hello y/n." Nate's eyes twinkled with his smile when they stopped in front of me.

"What are you doing here?"

"Paying you a visit, obviously," Dante explained while rounding me, still inspecting the garden.

"You can't just break in here!"

"Last time I checked, this is my family's estate." Ben shrugged.

I huffed. The audacity.

"Excuse me? This is my parent's garden! They work for it," I hissed, "I'm sorry that I threw ice-cream into your girlfriend's face, okay!? I'm really sorry and I think I got my retribution thanks to Dante. So please please please leave me alone. I won't do anything to her again ever."