15. Jewellery

In the following days, it became a habit that Taylor dropped me off after school

In the following days, it became a habit that Taylor dropped me off after school. I enjoyed his company even though he was a biiit touchy sometimes. I know, the three were touchy, too. They liked to hug at every opportunity and especially Dante had a habit of underlining his words with a hand in your hair or a finger under your chin. But it didn't feel as...uncomfortable as Taylors hand on my thigh in the confinement of his car. 

Maybe it was because I knew the three and trusted them while I had a lot of question marks in my head when it came to Taylors character. Maybe it was because...unlike Taylor, I kind of liked to feel Dante, Nate or Ben on my skin. 

It was weird, because this was highly platonic, of course, but I couldn't deny that my heartrate went up when I hugged them. I always took an extra deep breath, when my face was pressed into the crook of their necks. Just to hate myself afterwards, because it was not in my place to sniff the intoxicating scent of Ellies! Boyfriends!

I sighed and ran my hands over my face, before I looked into the bathroom mirror. Get a grip, y/n. I grabbed the beautiful light summer outfit that I had set out to wear, took it to my room and put it back into my wardrobe.

I was just going shopping with my friends. There is no need to wear something pretty and body-con, I told myself. Instead, I went for shorts and a baggy t-shirt.

➳➳➳

Shopping with Ellie and the three was wild. Ellie wasn't only a shopaholic, she was also a luxuryholic. We exclusively went into shops with a famous designer name and a red carpet rolled out in front. When I first heard the price of the pieces, Ellie bought, I became nauseous. After the third shop, I could only stare, trying not to gape my mouth.

Nate paid everything. He swiped his black card across the card readers with an indifferent expression. Dante and Ben were merely shopping bag porters.

I knew their families were rich, especially Nate's. But...how came that he himself had this much money? He was just a student.

I didn't dare to ask him at first. But when we sat in a noble rooftop restaurant, munching shrimps and antipasti, I couldn't hold myself back anymore.

"Nate?"

"Yes, beautiful?" He stopped tracking Dante's, Ellie's and Ben's debate on if it was or wasn't shallow to exclusively wear branded clothes.

Nate's eyes met mine and his bored expression changed into an expectant smile. He was seemingly happy about the distraction.

"I don't want to be offending...," I began hesitantly.

His smile widened.

"And even if you are, so what? Shoot," he encouraged me.

"Why do you have so much money?"

He nodded as if he found my question reasonable.

"My father transfers a lot of money to my mother and me. Maybe he sees it as a compensation for his absence." He shrugged, "I also already own shares of his company. It's important for him that I join the business early, since I'm going to inherit it."