42. Benediction pt. 1

"Catalyst

"Catalyst. Reduces activation energy. Increases speed of reaction," I murmured, eyes trained on my notes, before I shovelled a big fork of carbonara into my mouth. It was the day of the chemistry exam. I had twenty minutes till the exam and was fully immersed into the subject matter.

"And it's not used up during the reaction," Milan added who was in my chemistry class and therefore highly invested in my last-minute learning.

"I don't want to interrupt the spontaneous study-group, but, y/n, have you heard that your ex-best-friends-forever were expelled from school?" Dilara threw in.

I looked up in astonishment and my eyes automatically found the empty table where I had always sat with them. I had already noticed that Hebe and Svenja were absent, but hadn't thought too much about it.

"Expelled?" I whispered.

"Yes, do you know anything about it?"

I shook my head, completely confused.

Dilara looked at Nora.

"Nora, you know everything that's going on at this school."

Nora took a big sip of her water, then put it down elegantly.

"I do." She wiggled her eyebrows challengingly at Dilara.

"Shoot," Dilara urged her.

Nora smirked.

"They have been caught in an attempt to set fire to the school. They're expelled because of attempted arson."

The only sound at our table was of my fork, falling down onto the plate. Everyone stared at Nora in disbelieve. Why would Hebe and Svenja want to set the school ablaze? Was she joking?

Her eyes then found mine. "There were three witnesses, I've heard. H&S were expelled immediately without further notice. I guess, fate can be a funny thing."

Amusement twinkled in her eyes.

My gaze automatically wandered to the three and was caught by Ben's eyes. I held his grey gaze for a moment, before I looked back at my notes.

They wouldn't...would they? I massaged my temples and sighed.

Let this weird story be weird – I need to concentrate on chemistry right now.

➳➳➳

After the exam, I walked to Ben's car that was parked in its usual spot, with the usual tall figure leaning against the driver's side.

"How was the exam?" Ben asked as soon as I arrived.

Wordlessly, I opened the passenger door of his car and plopped into the seat.

With a frown, he followed into the driver's seat.

"Y/n?" He asked slowly.

I turned my face to him. And couldn't hold back a wide grin anymore.