Catching Up With An Old Friend and Making A New One

(Stacey, one of my very best friends from Spoonerville High School and the school's Student Body President from 1994 - 98)

The lady who was approaching me was wearing brown flip-flops, pink shorts, a purple tank top and blue shade glasses. The closer she got to me, the more it looked to me that she was one of my best friends from Spoonerville High School.

"Max? Is it really you?"

That was when I recognised that she was definitely one of my best friends from high school and she definitely was Stacey. Then I dropped the beach volleyball and we hugged. It had been ages since we last saw each other, which was on the day we graduated high school and at her amazing graduation party at her house on the same day.

"Oh, Max, it's so good to see you again," Stacey said.

"And it's good to see you, too, Stacey," I said.

I was already slowly starting to feel better and get over my breakup with Sasha as I explored the city of Cancun, but seeing one of my best friends from high school again made me feel even more better.

"Hey, Stacey, who's your new friend?"

Stacey and I turned around and saw an African American lady approaching us. She was wearing a light blue tube top, grey shorts and brown sandals.

"No, Lauren. This is actually one of my friends from high school and one of my very best ones. This is Max. Max, this is Lauren, my best friend at Harvard University."

"How do you do, Lauren?" I greeted, shaking her hand.

"So you're the Max Goof that Stacey talked about all the time," Lauren said.

I was confused. Stacey talked about me a lot? There was a long pause because I didn't know what to say and neither did Stacey, until she finally said, "Say, Max, do you want to play volleyball with us? We could do with another team player."

"Sure." I still can't work out why I accepted their offer, whether it was because I was pleased to see one of my very best friends from high school or if it was to help me to continue to take me mind off my breakup with Sasha. I still to this day think it was a mixture of both and helping Stacey and Lauren beat the other volleyball group from another university they were playing against certainly helped me. It wasn't a proper competition; it was just a friendly game and we all had fun doing it. Then Stacey and Lauren invited me to celebrate our victory in a Mexican restaurant and I gladly accepted.

Stacey, Lauren and I went to the nearest restaurant and we ate a lot of delicious Mexican food. We had tacos, burritos, Torta Cubanas and tortillas among them. Stacey and Lauren drank some Mexican red wine, but I stuck with a Mexican hot chocolate. I hadn't been in Cancun for even half a day and yet I felt I was really getting into the spirit of Mexico. Then we talked about college life and what we achieved in college so far. I decided to let the ladies go first.