My First College Girlfriend - Lola

(My very first college girlfriend, Lola)

The first girlfriend I had in college was a lady called Lola Lynch. She was a very beautiful African-American lady and she usually wore a green jacket, a green skirt and white shoes. At first, Lola didn't notice me too much, except for a couple of times. The first time was when my dad came into my class on his first day at college and embarrassed me in front of the whole classroom when he told them I was his son and the second time was when I tried to offer her a seat to sit next to me only for my dad to take the seat and she had no choice but to sit next to my nemesis Bradley Uppercrust III.

But then Lola started to recognize me more after I started to train for the College X Games championship. In fact, one night after I finished practicing with my team, I was eating cheesy nachos with my best friends PJ and Bobby in a night club called the Club Rave and then Lola came to me and asked me to dance with her. I promised her I would and, after a few minutes of watching my dad and his new girlfriend Sylvia Marpole, who was the college's head librarian, I kept my promise. I found her at her table and took her to dance on the dance floor.

Lola surprised me a lot as I danced with her. She was really great at it. More than great, she was a professional. She was so professional that, never mind being a backup dancer for Powerline, she could be a singer and dancer in her own right. I have danced a few times during my life, but I hadn't done any since I graduated high school. The last time I danced there was at senior prom. As I continued to dance with Lola, I just hoped I wasn't too rusty for her. Luckily, she didn't leave me. She could have dumped me and found another a guy to go and dance with, but she didn't. She must have enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed dancing with her.

Very soon, Lola and I felt that we couldn't dance anymore, so we decided to take a breather and she sat back down at her table while I went to get us both cups of coffee. When I came back, that was when she introduced herself properly to me.

"You're Max, aren't you?" she asked.

"Yeah, that's me," I said. "Max Goof. What's your name?"

"My name is Lola," she replied. "Lola Lynch."

"You are an incredible dancer, Lola," I said. "Is that what you're studying here at college when you're not in the same class with me and the others?"

"Well, you could say that," she said. "I am dancing in drama classes, but I view it more as a hobby. When I'm not studying with you or in my drama classes, I'm also studying marine biology."

"Marine biology?" I cried. "Awesome!"

"Yeah, it is," Lola said. "What about you, Max? What else are you studying?"

I told her what subjects I was studying at college which was business studies with her, physical education and financial studies.

"Wow!" Lola cried. "And you're also very busy with that College X Games, right?"

"That's right," I said. "What hobbies do you like to do in your spare time?"

Lola explained, when she wasn't studying, she liked acting and singing as well as dancing. She used to act in many plays during high school, including Viola in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, Mary Magdalene in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar and Laurey Williams in Rogers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma! And now she was doing it in college drama classes. They were doing a production of West Side Story. She auditioned for the part of Maria and she got it. I remember seeing West Side Story once when my dad and I went to New York and saw it on Broadway. My dad wanted to see it because he said he starred it in when he was in high school. I asked him what role he played and he said it was Buttons, which I knew was from Cinderella.

"I already know you're a great dancer, Max," Lola said. "Do you like acting and singing as well?"

Then I told her, as humbly as I could, about the plays I did in Spoonerville High School including the lead roles in Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods and Les Misérables and all the singing and dancing I did to win the high school talent shows, dancing with my then-girlfriend Lisa at senior prom, which we won the Homecoming King and Queen and that time in Summer 1995 when my dad and I danced with the real Powerline in his LA concert.

Lola gasped. "That was you? That was you, that young teenager who danced with the real Powerline in L.A. in 1995?"

I just nodded humbly.

"Wow! No wonder you're so good!"

"Thanks, Lola." Then I drank my coffee.

Lola drank hers. "And you have good taste in coffee too."

"Thanks."

"So will you be practicing your skateboarding more at the same ramps, Max?" Lola asked.

"I sure will."

"Oh, good. Because I'd like you to see you more in action. You're really fun to watch."

"Thanks, Lola. And how would you like me to come and see you rehearse for West Side Story? I mean, I will come and see your actual show when it's ready, but if I could come and see you rehearse, would you like that? Because you're coming to see me, I'm only trying to be fair to you as much as I can."

"Oh, that's so sweet of you, Max," Lola said. "If it were up to me, I would allow you come and watch me rehearse as much as you like, but it's up to our director." Then she rose up. "Well, I had a great night with you, Max. I hope to have more great ones with you. See you later."

"See you later, Lola."

And we did have more great nights together. Tonight was just the beginning.