Wedding Preparations

Spoonerville College's Spring Break Trip in 2002 was in Catalina Island and Mona could have gone there with her fellow college mates, but she decided to attend the wedding of my dad and Sylvia with me instead

Spoonerville College's Spring Break Trip in 2002 was in Catalina Island and Mona could have gone there with her fellow college mates, but she decided to attend the wedding of my dad and Sylvia with me instead. Sylvia asked her to be one of her bridesmaids and she had never been one and she still wanted to be one, so she came to Big Sky with me. And another reason she came was that she enjoyed spending time with me and she liked my dad and Sylvia since she met them last Christmas and she knew weddings happened rarer than vacations... well, to most people, anyway. And I was glad that she came and so did my dad and Sylvia because her being with us made the very special event extra special. Besides, I promised I would take her to Catalina Island for our summer vacation trip as my gift to her for graduating college and fishing her doctor's training in the summer.

Mona and I arrived in Big Sky six days before the wedding so we could be ready for it. Because there wasn't enough room at their house or the other houses of Sylvia's family, we stayed in a room at the hotel Sylvia worked at it and, because she worked there, we had a twenty percent discount off. The room Mona and I stayed in was very lovely. We had a big soft bed, a big TV, a big bathroom and a big balcony. And everything else including the gym, the swimming pool, the hot tub and the restaurant at the hotel was awesome as our room itself.

On our first night at the hotel, Mona and I ate at the restaurant and my dad and Sylvia joined us. We all exchanged news about what we had been up to and everything. The most interesting news I received from my dad and Sylvia was that not only was I going to get a stepmom, but I was also going to have a new sibling. Sylvia was three months pregnant. I didn't know how to feel. I knew change is inevitable in life, but everything was changing so rapidly it was too much for me to cope. Luckily, Mona was with me to calm me down and tell me that everything will be all right in time and that in time I will learn to love my new sibling and be a good brother to him or her. That helped me feel better and then she helped me feel more better by having sex with me.

The day after we arrived, we joined my dad and Sylvia and the other people who had jobs in this wedding at the church to go over what we needed to do on the day. When that was over, I felt more confident about being my dad's best man and Mona felt comfortable being one of Sylvia's bridesmaids.

The next day, the wedding guests arrived. They included my dad's friends, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Pluto, Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey and Louie Duck, Horace Horsecollar, Clarabelle Cow, Pete and his latest girlfriend Kiera, Peg and her latest boyfriend Nathan, Pistol and her boyfriend Duff Rough among them. My friends included PJ, Lucy, Patrick, Penelope, Bobby, Stacey, Lauren, Sabrina, Regina, Lisa, Bennie and Alicia among them. There were also some of Sylvia's friends and also members from mine and my dad's family arrived, including my cousin Debbie and her partner Susan. Mona was allowed to invite one or two of her friends, but all of her friends were in Catalina Island.

I was glad that my friends could make it to the wedding and Mona and I had a great catch up with them. We told our friends what we had been up, like my job at Spoonerville College and Mona nearly finishing her doctor's training. They all told us how proud they were of us.

Then they told me and Mona what they had been up to. PJ went first to say that he was still working at the Red Flame in Chicago, but he was no longer the kitchen porter because he had been promoted to the sous chef. He was the sous chef of a five-star restaurant and still studying at college. Wow! What an incredible achievement.

Then Lucy produced a copy of her book of poems called Poetry For Life, which was not only her first book ever but also a bestseller. Amazing!

Then Bobby told us that he still worked at Sunny Records, but he was no longer a talent scout; he was the new C.E.O. of it! And he went on to say that, according to reports, since he became the new C.E.O., the company had been making more money, winning a lot of awards with Grammys among them and a lot of singers – both experienced ones like Powerline and brand-new ones which included Charm Giver – have been signing up to the company to make their latest albums for them.

Then it was Stacey's turn. Even though she was still studying at Harvard, she already became the head of the Cambridge Police Criminal Psychology Team and helping the police to get criminals to confess their crimes.

And Lauren, though she was still at Harvard, managed to get a job of being the stage manager at the local Cambridge Theatre and the show they were doing was Aida from Elton John and Tim Rice.

Lisa was doing very well because, even though she was still studying at college, she got promoted to the assistant editor-in-chief of the fashion magazine Gleaming due to her incredible hard work and fashion taste.

Then Debbie told me that she was doing very well. She was not only a vet, but she was the head vet at a veterinary in Rochester. Susan was doing very well as well. She didn't just own a gym but an entire chain of gyms and a lot of people go to them, including famous athletes.

And all my godchildren were doing well. Patrick, Penelope, Sabrina and Lauren could just start to walk and make verbal noises and Bennie and Alicia could walk on their own and start to talk on their own and were attending day care and finding their own interests. Bennie was more into sports and Alicia was more into creative stuff. I was very happy and proud of all of them as much as I was of their parents and Mona told me what a good godfather I was to my godchildren.

I did try to invite my former girlfriend who were now friends of mine – Lola, Sasha and Charlotte – to come, but they were too busy to come. However, they did send my dad and Sylvia wedding cards and wished them the best of luck for a happy marriage. And if only Roxanne and I stayed in contact with each other, I would have invited her to the wedding.

The next day was about trying on our suits and our dresses for the actual day. And they were all from Lisa. When I invited her and her kids to the wedding, I also asked her for fashion advice not just for myself and Mona, but also for my dad and Sylvia, if it wasn't too much trouble. And I still to this day am very glad I did because not only did she give us some incredible advice, but she used her power at Gleaming to give every guy the very best suits and the ladies the very best dresses she could borrow from the very best fashion empire in the world and she let no one down. I and all the other guys looked very smart in our suits and all the ladies looked very beautiful in their dresses. Sylvia looked very beautiful in her white wedding dress, her sisters and Mona looked very in their pink bridesmaid dresses and her best friend and maid of honor Anita looked very beautiful in her purple dress. When it came to the clothes of the wedding, Lisa was the real hero.

Then the next day was my dad's bachelor party and Sylvia's bachelorette party. The day after that, we had a rest to recover from all the fun we had from both yesterday's parties and to save our energy for the main event tomorrow. While we rested, Mona and I told each other about how well each of the parties went. I told Mona how I and the guys took my dad on a river rafting trip and then to the Big Sky golf course for a great game of golf. Then we went to a nice restaurant and ate a lot of delicious food and did a lot of dancing to a lot of music. Then Mona told me that she and the ladies enjoyed going on their horseback riding tour and then doing the Ousel Falls Trail and then chilling at the spa and playing bachelorette bingo among many other games.

While I rested, I was stressing over my best man's speech. I just wanted it to be perfect because it was the first time he was getting married. When I was born, he and my birth mother wasn't married yet. They were going to get married a few weeks after my first birthday, but she died in a car crash two weeks before the wedding date. Because it was my dad's first wedding ever and he raised to be the guy I am now all by himself, I was stressing over to make my best man's speech to be the very best man speech I can. Mona read it and told me that it was perfect as it could be and my dad would be very touched by it. The more these wedding preparations went on, the gladder I was that she was with me during one of the most important events in mine and my dad's life.