My New Sibling

During the night Mona and I stayed at my dad and Sylvia's place after a long drive back Catalina Island, they gave us a delicious dinner of roasted chicken and vegetables

During the night Mona and I stayed at my dad and Sylvia's place after a long drive back Catalina Island, they gave us a delicious dinner of roasted chicken and vegetables. Then after dessert, which was a homemade red velvet cake, we showed them our photos of our vacation at Catalina Island on our digital cameras as we explained what we did and how much fun we had doing them and doing them together. They all enjoyed seeing our photos and hearing our stories. Then we asked my dad and Sylvia how they were and how their lives were going. They were both very happy with their lives and they were having very successful careers. The only thing they had to be cautious was my future sibling Sylvia was carrying because she was nine months pregnant and her water could break anytime.

It was very lucky for my dad and Sylvia that Mona and I stayed the night at their place when we did because that night was the one when Sylvia went into labour. We all heard her screaming very loudly at two o'clock in the morning. She told us that her water broke. I called an ambulance immediately, but the baby seemed too impatient and wanted to come out of Sylvia very quickly. Even though she wasn't an obstetrician, Mona was the trained doctor and she was after all the medical director at Spoonerville Hospital and she had more clue when it came to birth than I, my dad and Sylvia did, so she took charge of helping this baby being born.

Mona told me to run a bath for Sylvia in the bathroom. After Mona made sure the water I ran was full enough and was the correct temperature for Sylvia, which it was, Mona instructed me and my dad to help Sylvia into the bath. Then, while she focused on the baby coming out of Sylvia, Mona told my dad to hold her hands for support and told me to keep an eye out for the ambulance through the bathroom window in case it did arrive before the baby did.

"Okay, Sylvia, I can see the head coming through," Mona said, putting her hands into the bath water. "Just keep on pushing as hard as you can."

While I continued to watch out for the ambulance, I heard Sylvia's screaming as she pushed the baby out, my dad supporting her the best way he could and Mona telling her to keep on pushing. This reminded me of the time when I supported Lisa on the night she gave birth to Bennie and Alicia in Summer 1999, but this time we were luckier because Sylvia had my dad to support her and Mona, a fully trained doctor, to organize this thing. We all had jobs to do and we were doing very well.

"Well done, Sylvia," Mona said. "The head's out now. Keeping pushing for the rest."

"I can't!" Sylvia wailed. "I don't know if I keep this up!"

"Yes, you can, Sylvia," I said. "You're doing very well."

"Keep it up, Sylvia," Mona said. "The baby's nearly there."

"You're bein' very brave, Sylvia," my dad said. "We're really proud of you."

Sylvia continued to push a few more times while shouting and then very soon the baby was born. After Mona examined the baby and checked that it was healthy, she showed me, my dad and Sylvia that it was a baby girl. I'll never forget the first time I ever laid my eyes on my new sister. I had to admit that she was very cute and immediately loved her. My dad and Sylvia were just as overjoyed to see her as much as I was and maybe even more so, especially for Sylvia as this baby was her very first one. They decided to call her Hannah.

Then the ambulance arrived and they took Sylvia and Hannah to the hospital to finish the rest of the jobs. Then my dad, Mona and I went back to bed to catch up on sleep.

My dad, Mona and I didn't get up and have breakfast until eleven o'clock in the morning. Then we got a phone call from the hospital telling us that we were finally allowed to go there and see Sylvia and Hannah. The doctor there told us that Hannah was a perfectly healthy baby and both she and Sylvia would be okay and they just needed rest. We were all very relieved and happy to hear that. He even said we were all very lucky that we had a doctor in the house last night to help the baby being born, otherwise it would have been a very different story. He congratulated Mona for her heroics last night before he left to check on another patient.

Mona and I stayed another night at my dad's place because we were still very tired from Hannah's home birth and another reason was my dad was getting worried about whether he would be a good father to Hannah. Mona and I kept on assuring him that he would be. Because after all, he did raise me all by himself for almost my entire life.

Then the next day, after breakfast, my dad, Mona and I went to the hospital to check on Sylvia and Hannah. After checking that they were okay, Mona and I said goodbye to them thanked them for letting them stay at their place and they thanked us for helping Sylvia bring my new sister into the world. Then we drove back to Spoonerville.

I thanked and congratulated Mona for what she did for my family. She just humbly said she was a trained doctor after all and I told her that all her hard work and training had paid off. While we continued to drive back to Spoonerville, Hannah's birth made me think about wanting if I wanted to get married and have my own children. I knew that Mona and I started dating since Spring Break last year and our relationship lasted nearly a year and a half, so it was too soon to ask Mona about starting a family. Despite the fact I really kept thinking that she was the one for me, I decided to be patient and take our time to see if this was what both me and Mona wanted.