Spending The Night With An Old Friend

After our delicious Mexican dinner and we split the bill between the three of us, Stacey and I were tired, so we decided to head back to our hotels

After our delicious Mexican dinner and we split the bill between the three of us, Stacey and I were tired, so we decided to head back to our hotels. Lauren wasn't too tired yet so she decided to stay and experience more of night-time Cancun.

"I'm really amazed that our friends PJ and Bobby have come with you to Cancun," Stacey said. "I think it's great that you guys have still stuck together like brothers just like you did in high school. I look forward to meeting them again and introducing them to Lauren."

"And they look forward to meeting you again and Lauren for the first time," I said. "Have you seen some of our other friends from high school since your awesome graduation party?"

"No," she replied. "And I miss them. I miss everyone we went to high school with, but I've missed you, PJ and Bobby the most. And I miss Roxanne too."

"So how are your parents doing?"

When Stacey didn't answer, I looked at her and saw her face looking sad.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I'm being too nosy," Max said.

"No, it's not your fault, Max," Stacey said. "It's just that..." She sighed. "It's a very long and difficult story to tell."

"Well, if you want to talk about it, I'm here now to support you as a friend," I said.

When we approached a bench, Stacey finally decided that she did want to talk about it, so we sat down and she told me about her tough time with her parents. Stacey's parents had been growing apart during their high school senior and since she left for Harvard, they got divorced and they started to see different people and both women (her mom and the woman her dad was seeing) were pregnant so she was going to have stepsiblings. She was very grateful that she had Harvard, her lessons, her criminal psychology career and her best friend Lauren to keep her occupied because, if she didn't, she didn't think she would have been able to live her life without them. She broke down into tears as she told me about it. I gave her a hug.

"Thanks for helping me get this of my chest, Max," she said.

"No problem," I said. "So, has any of your parents met Lauren yet?"

"No," Stacey said sadly. "I don't think either of them would like her if they did."

"Why not?"

"Because she's a lesbian."

"A lesbian?"

"Do you have an issue –"

"No, not at all. I'm cool about it. And if you're a lesbian too, Stacey, I'm cool about it as well."

"That's the thing, Max. I don't know if I'm a lesbian or straight. I can't work out if I'm either one or the other."

"Have you ever considered yourself bisexual? And again if you are, I'm cool about it."