Roxanne's Life in Missouri

After I returned the ATV back and checked Roxanne into the hotel, I immediately took her to my hotel room and I ran a nice warm bath for her to wash herself and have a nice good long soak in it

After I returned the ATV back and checked Roxanne into the hotel, I immediately took her to my hotel room and I ran a nice warm bath for her to wash herself and have a nice good long soak in it. While she was in the bathroom washing the dirt of her, my dad, Sylvia and Hannah came to see me. I told them everything about what happened on my ATV ride and how I found Roxanne sinking in the bog and how I rescued her from it. My family was very proud of me for my heroic moments and my dad was delighted when he heard that I met Roxanne again and he wanted to see her, but I told him and Sylvia that she was still so emotional and traumatized about her near death experience drowning in that bog and she didn't want to see anyone (apart from me) or go anywhere yet and that I felt that I had to stay with her to look after her, which they understood and respected. Before they left my room, Sylvia left some of her spare clothes for Roxanne to use. Shortly, after they left, Roxanne got out of the bath and put on Sylvia's tight white shorts, pink tank top and white shoes. They fitted her like a glove and she felt better for the spare clothes and the warm bath.

For dinner that night, I used my free one-night room service voucher for me and Roxanne because she was so still not in the right mood for company, but at the same time she couldn't be alone. I had a cheeseburger and fries while she had a small mushroom pizza and we both had cups of tea.

"I'm so sorry for eating so fast, Max," Roxanne said. "It's just I haven't eaten in days."

"I understand," I said.

While we ate, I asked her what she had been up to since she left Spoonerville with her dad, but I didn't forced her to do anything. If she didn't want to tell me anything, I wasn't going to make her do it, but she, out of her own free will, decided to tell me everything, probably because, to out this humbly as I can, she felt I was the only one she could trust and that I was the one who she missed the most. Anyway, this is how her story went...

Roxanne remembered still crying her eyes out on the day she and her dad started their journey to Texas. She didn't stop when they were at the cheap motel they stayed for the night and she didn't even eat her takeaway pizza that her dad bought. When her dad tried to 'apologize' for what happened – what that really meant was he was trying to justify what he did and making out that he was a victim in this whole mess as much as she was and the burning of their house in Spoonerville wasn't his fault at all – she finally lashed out at him. She lashed out, saying it was his own fault that their house got burned down, that she, his only daughter and the only family he had left in the world, nearly perished in flames, all their possessions and money were burnt, they were now completely broke and homeless and now she had to leave everyone in Spoonerville behind, especially me. She knew deep down that he didn't mean to cause what happened to her house and that he would never ever think of burning her alive, but because she was so emotional, so sad and so angry and she felt that her life had gone completely downhill, she just couldn't forgive him.

The next day got no better because, after they left the motel, they didn't reach Texas because the car broke down. They managed to stop near a sweetcorn field somewhere in Missouri. The engine had gone completely bust and they had no tools to fix it. Then when the angry old farmer, who was a white duck, came and asked why they parked near his field, they explained to him that their car has broken down and they couldn't move it. The farmer called the mechanic to come over to have a look. After he examined the engine and the rest of the car, he said it was beyond repair and it needed to go to the scrapyard. Roxanne had to pay the mechanic with all the money I gave to her for his service of examining and taking the car away. The farmer let her and her dad live in his campervan and work on his farm to earn enough money to buy the cheapest vehicle before they could continue their journey to Texas.

For four months, Roxanne and her dad worked as hard as they could on the farm to earn money. She couldn't go to school because the nearest one was an hour away by car so she wouldn't be able to walk or run to it. Even if the farmer had a bike, Roxanne wouldn't be able to use it because she never learnt how to ride one at all. But they did learn a lot about farming as they worked and they were proving their worth to the farmer and he did appreciate the work they did for him. Roxanne especially learnt how to harvest sweetcorn and other foods that the framer grew with strawberries, tomatoes, apples and carrots among them, how to muck out the horses, the sheep, the cows and the pigs and how to ride horses to exercise them the correct way, which was her most favorite job while working on the farm.

Soon Roxanne and her dad had enough money to buy the cheapest vehicle they could get. They couldn't buy a car, though. They could only afford a motorhome that was even cheaper than the cars at the place they bought. I have never been to this place before, but it sounded worse than the one my ex-neighbour Pete ran in Spoonerville before it went out of business and he became a baby photographer with my dad. Anyway, the campervan Roxanne and her dad bought meant at least they could live, sleep and eat in it. Once they got that, they said goodbye to their farmer friend and left Missouri made their way to Texas.

Roxanne still missed her life in Spoonerville, but she thought living and working in the farm in Missouri wasn't bad at all. It got off to a tough start, but it started to grow on her. But little did she know that as tough as it was Missouri she had no idea how much she would have to go through in Texas.