𝑪𝒉. 𝟏𝟒 | 𝑪𝒐𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒆 𝑩𝒖𝒓𝒏

Lex

I didn't think she'd kiss me. She was too stubborn and uptight to ever do something like that especially on the demand of someone she hates. I hated her for sympathising with my family. For sharing and understanding their emotions the way I couldn't because I lacked it.

But when she said she couldn't stand Nan and Liz begging to see me happy something in me eased. I wasn't going to go by my word and give permission even if she kissed me, but I gave it in the end because she would have put up a fight. A fight I would lose this time because she cared for my family members and that made me somewhat happy. 

When I returned home early from work, Nan and Liz were not there. Neither does Liz answer the phone and they did not let me know if they were going out. 

"Lana," I called for her to enquire about their location.  "Where are Nan and Liz?" I asked upon her arrival from the kitchen. 

"They left with Aira in the morning for the site after you left for office," she told. 

My blood boiled. For the site. It's been a fair bit of hours and they should have been back. Knowing Nan's nature, she probably stayed back and insisted on helping out. I ring Aira and she doesn't answer either.

Just as I'm about to head out to get them, Nan and Liz enter in. Liz holding Nan by the arm for support. Nan hisses slightly. She had a knee problem where they swelled when she'd work too much. This only meant... Aira made them do work around the site.

"Where were you both?" my arms folded across my chest. 

"We went with Aira to the site and helped her around," Liz told with a wide smile like she enjoyed it.

"She's so talented I must say," Nan complimented further, admiring her.

"You aren't here to work and it is Aira's job to set the site up, not yours. How can she even ask you two to help her?" I scoffed. 

Like always, Liz opened her mouth to protest and defend Aira but I was just not going to take it. I instructed her to take Nan to her room and massage her knees so the swelling could get better before leaving for the site. I had given her a team for this specific reason, knowing she likes to sit in one place and stare at a device rather than move around.

If even that wasn't enough, she should have told me. There was no need to take Liz and Nan to the site and make them work. When I enter the building it's mostly empty. The note at administration says they're on break. On break at five pm? I'm pretty confident she must have ordered a fucking plate of pastry and sat in one spot in this building. I walk up to each floor, calling for her and shouting her name. 

"Why are you yelling?" she waved from the rail of the top floor. 

This place needs elevators. She's unpacking the boxes with the clothing materials when I reach her. Well, for the first time, she's not stuffing herself with pastries and that's new. I grab her by the arm and pull her off from the floor to stand. 

"Why would you make Nan and Liz work here with you? They're not our employees, they're here as guests for a visit," I scolded.

"I didn't-" her mouth opened to reject and protest but I cut her off. 

"Shut up, Aira. You realise Nan's age and the rest she needs. She can't be moving around in a complex site like this. Why do you keep making these stupid mistakes?" my voice screeched in ache, hating to argue with her at this moment. 

I thought she felt something for my family but I really can't trust anyone with them. Nan and Liz are easily trusting and I still haven't figured much about Aira.