𝑪𝒉. 𝟑𝟏 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑻𝒓𝒖𝒕𝒉

Aira

Lex refused to band aid his burn and on top of that his arrogance was itching my brain. I tried twice but his reactions to my help were negative. I didn't ask him to jump into the house did I? But I'm also glad he did. I don't want to be ungrateful for it because I would have been burnt to ashes if he hadn't saved me.

One more attempt won't hurt though. I make my way to Lex's room where I find that Noah is here to visit them. The door was open and I stood by, hearing the conversation between them.

"What if something worse happened to Aira?" Noah argues.

"Then I wouldn't have spared anyone. Do you not understand, Noah? I would have burned Laura's family down the way she had burned Aira if anything had happened to her."

My eyes widened at Laura's name. No... It couldn't have been. Laura hadn't called me back either and between everything, I forgot about her. I can't believe Lex is blaming Laura for this too.

"Why did you jump into that fire? Why did you risk yourself for Aira?" Noah questioned, pulling him by the arms to face him.

"Because she was in that house full of fire! Noah, if anything happens to her I can't take it!" he screeches, annoyed.

My heart starts to race after hearing that. Even last night Lex said a lot of things I had a hard time processing. I know he doesn't mean that. He can't mean that. I walk away from Lex's room and back to mine in deep thought. What is happening with my life? My attention towards the thoughts are interrupted by my phone. It was a notification from my uncle.

'What did you decide about the guy?'

No. I haven't decided anything. I receive another text.

'We'd like you to meet the guy before you take any decision Aira.'

All I responded with was okay. I do it for the sake of my uncle. He's so stubborn and I know he won't rest till he gets me married to this guy. My second option was to talk to my Aunt about this situation and tell her I did not want to get married. I wasn't ready for it. She's been my second mother since my mum passed away.

Another text came through with them telling me that they wanted me there on New Year's Eve, which was in exactly a week. Great! It's going to take me about three days to get to the US, which leaves me with four days here.

This was my chance to just run away from everything. From Lex. Without a second thought, I book the tickets for tomorrow evening. Maybe this would give Lex enough time away from me to figure things out. And me too. Some time away from each other would be better for the both of us.

──⇌••⇋──

I had avoided Lex since yesterday and he hadn't seen me either. It was like he was avoiding me too now and that bothered me. Currently, I was in my room packing my luggage as slow as I could because something in me didn't want to leave this house. The memories, those words echoed in my head over and over again but were debated with the same words he used to blame Laura who still hadn't checked up on me. I hesitantly grabbed my phone and dialled a call to her.

Ring, ring, ring. She did not pick up. This was the part where Lex's words finally start to get to my brain, but my brain was hesitant in believing them. My own friend wouldn't do that. Just as I place my phone down onto the sheets, an incoming call arrived from the administration of the site.

"Ma'am, we need you at the site," the receptionist urges in worry.

"I'll be there in a while."

Leaving the packing, I catch an uber to the site and walk in. The manager there is waiting for me near the administration.