𝑪𝒉. 𝟐𝟐 | 𝑩𝒂𝒃𝒚

Aira

He takes a seat next to me and unpacks the plastic bag. I start eating my toast as I eye on Lex's food. He's eating pancakes. They look so delish. I can't wait to steal one. After a while Lex gets up and goes into the kitchen to get some water.

I grab my fork to take a whole pancake and stuff it in my mouth. God, it's so big. There's no room for chewing. I try my best and chew, chew and chew. Lex comes back with a jug of water and places it on the table.

"Did you take a pancake?" he questions.

Did he count his pancakes? Why is asking me? I can't talk with my full mouth. I nod my head left to right as I avoid eye contact. His arm goes around my chair and he shifts his entire gaze to me. I look at him from the corner of my eye as I see a smile. Lex, is smiling?

"You look like a puffed up pastry," he laughs.

I can't handle this. Am I dreaming? Lex is smiling! I've never seen him smile but it's so beautiful. I choke on the pancake and before it kills me, I spit it out in a tissue.

"You did take it," his head tilted.

I wipe my face with a tissue whilst I continue to stare at him. He takes his hand to the strand of hair I've left out of my ponytail and shoves it behind my ear. I feel my heart starting to race uncontrollably.

"You smiled," I say pointing at his lips.

He instantly realises and converts his lips into the serious expression. The one he normally has on.

"No, I didn't," he rejects.

I make an annoyed face and turn back to the pancakes and pick up one. But this time I eat it properly. Like a human would and not shove the whole thing in my mouth. Lex leaves the dining table and walks upstairs.

The pancakes are literally melting in my mouth. I take another and then another. And eventually they all finish till Lex comes back down. He has a pair of sneakers in his hands. My sneakers.

He kneels down to my feet and puts them on me. Why is he doing this!? God this is going to mess with my mind the whole day. First the smile, then the stare and now this. I'm pretty sure something happened last night when I was drunk. I must've done something stupid; I think in my head. What could I have done?

"You hit my back with this table decoration, and it still hurts," he says out loud looking at me from below.

How did he know what I was thinking? No. He's no mind magician or mind reader. What if he is a witch? But he's a man. I look down to him with my eyes widened, from head to toe. What if he's not a man? What if he's an actual witch? That explains his behaviour. No wonder why he's so mean.

"Stop talking to yourself, Aira," he utters looking at me doze off into a new world.

"I'm not," I lied, clicking my tongue.

It's better to get out of here. I get a notification on my phone that my Uber is here. I grab my purse and head out to the front yard. Lex follows behind and opens his passenger door for me. I stand there confused.

My Uber follows behind, standing outside the front gate. I walk around the fountain and out the gate to my Uber. Lex stands there watching me. I'm kind of slow because of my foot and I have to use it less.

I take the elevator to my cabin and have a look over my schedule. I have two meetings to attend today with Lex. Too much standing I hope I can handle it. I take a seat at my computer and finish off some paperwork that is due before the meetings. Halfway through the paperwork my phone rings.