𝑪𝒉. 𝟑𝟖 | 𝑵𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑩𝒆𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝑼𝒔

Aira

Two weeks had passed with me seeing Lex every day since his accident. He was now doing better than before with his recovery. He would purposely send Liz and Nan home just to get me to come and stay over with him. Me carrying the stupid brain I have, I rushed to see him because my peace instantly vanished whenever he called for me.

Today, Lex was discharged and back home so I was already going to go see him and his family.  It was what I was getting ready for right now, putting on some gloss and makeup. Leaving my hair down. Lex likes my hair down. Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I fell in love with the parts of myself that felt like Lex loved. Which were all of me. My brain hitched at that thought, restricting me from jumping to conclusions. Why did the thought of Lex loving me excite me? Make me feel like it was normal? Like it should be that way?

Damien interrupted my thoughts with a few knocks on my door. I hadn't talked to him ever since the incident. It felt like my heart had hardened after the fright Lex's accident gave me and it was all because of Damien. Was he marrying me to take revenge on that family since he found out Lex was my business partner? All those suspicions and questions about Lex and me made sense to me now. I was being used.  

"You probably don't want to see me right now," his voice spoke standing behind me as I looked at the both of us in the mirror. 

Me and him, it doesn't fit. The reflection, it was incomplete. It did not make sense. 

"Do you think I'm wrong? I'm the one at fault?" he takes a deep breath before he continues his clarification. "I am just an orphan like you, Aira. But the difference is that I had siblings. Nan kept me away from them but cared for me. I was always in boarding and never got the chance to enjoy my holidays with my family. My mum was too busy with work and I didn't have a father." 

His words hit the wall on my heart, breaking it to get to the soft part of it. The empath part. Damien turned me around to face him and grabbed onto my hands softly.

"Is it my fault that my mother had an affair with Lex's father? What's my fault? I'm as hurt as them. My mother murdered my father for that man," he questioned.

The pain in his voice only became harder to bear. I was stuck between two people now. Neither, Damien or Lex were at fault. The poison both their parents have left behind in their hearts have travelled to their brains for each other. 

"Don't I have the right to be angry with them? Is it only Lex that has that right?" Damien looked away from me, frustrated and hurt.

"You could've done it in another way, Damien," I sigh, taking my hand out of his.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"You should be apologising to them. Not me."

"I will. I will apologise to them. Let's go right now," he insisted. 

It looked as if all that mess did not give him the peace he searched for. He thought that cussing and violence against his step brother would fix everything for him. But it didn't and he regretted it now. I agreed to him taking me there since I was already heading to visit.

My heart thumped hard on the way there with thoughts that terrified me. What if Damien refuses to do what he's said to me? What if he's using me again to get to Lex since he's figured it out?  Liz and Nan were already seated in the living area having a conversation. The instant shock from seeing Damien worried both of them since Lex was home. Especially Nan.

"Please leave," Nan's hard voice pleaded for her grandson.

"Wait, Nan," I interject looking at Damien.