𝑪𝒉. 𝟐𝟎 | 𝑭𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝑭𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅

Lex

I returned home early today from work in a need to ensure Aira was okay. Lana told me she had lunch and then went back up into her room the last time she saw her. My heart was restless today from everything that happened with her yesterday. It was a moment to remember like it had scarred me the way Aira was too. The only thought that brought me peace was when she accidentally sent me her location instead of Noah.

Thank God the following call confirmed that she was in danger but there was no doubt that I wouldn't have arrived at the location immediately. My mind kept on shading my thoughts with her echoes from the time she told me she was afraid of the dark.

Approaching a dark and dangerous valley only made me more frustrated that she could be stuck in a place like that with a heart that could jump out of her chest at any moment. The fact that I wasn't there with her bothered my heart, only because I know how easily she gets herself into trouble.

The interesting part was that the car that nearly ran Aira over the other day came to my sight. The same car Laura used to leave the medical store too. I abruptly cursed myself for letting it slide thinking she'd back away but God was I fucking wrong.

No matter how many times I told myself that she wasn't stuck in that street anymore, that she slept with me, in my bed, woke up in my bed, and was here with me now, something in me started spreading the fact that I let her hate me for such a long time.

Walking up the stairs to my room, I decided to freshen up first and then go check to see how Aira was doing now. As I got to place my coat on my bed, the rays of the sun pinch my eyes.

The room has gotten pretty humid, I guess she didn't bother closing my window before she left. I went forward to shut the frames when Aira's body came into my sight. Lying lifeless on the garden floor like she had passed out in the middle. 

"Aira," I called to make sure she wasn't having a discussion with the ants in the grass.  She didn't respond at all. I hurried out of my room and into the garden to find her eyes closed. Falling to my knees, I picked her body up in my arms.

"Aira," I called again shaking her.

One of her AirPods fall out of her ear and she slowly whimpers. Her eyes open slowly before her hand goes to rub them.

"Lex. When did you get home?" her sleepy voice questioned when I came to her sight.

"Why are you lying here? I thought something happened to you," I exhaled softly, rest assured.

Her lips smile a little before she plants her head on my chest like it was a pillow.

"I was bored so I decided to lay here and listen to music. I didn't realise when I fell asleep. I'm sorry I made you panic," she spoke, trailing her fingertip along my cotton shirt.

I could feel my heartbeat starting to race. Could she possibly hear it against her ear since her head lays on the left side of my chest? God, I wanted to stay in this position. It felt so calming to have her in my arms and her head against my chest. Her fingers run along my shirt. She's not doing it to get my attention, rather she is probably clueless and is doing it to distract herself from the tormenting thoughts that still clouded her head from yesterday.

"Come on. Let's go inside," I unwillingly broke the silence between us.

Aira nodded yes and pulled her head out of my chest. I helped her get up. Despite needing to feel her touch on my hands, I let it be. She walked ahead of me into the living room where we had an unexpected visitor. Noah.

"Aira," he instantly got up from the sofa to come see her.

"I was so worried about you after last night."