21. To Enduce Separation

*24 months later*

Will jumped up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and breathing heavily. He looked around the dark room, his blurry eyes taking a moment to register that he was okay.
He was safe and in his room. He ran his hands over his sweaty face just taking a breath, hating that the nightmares were coming back and getting worse, feeling extremely real.

After calming down for a few moments, he realized he couldn't fall back asleep that easily. He stretched out in his bed and reached for his phone typing away despite the fact it was almost 3 in the morning.

"Hey....I just wanted to check and see if you are doing okay. I know we haven't talked in a while but I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I hope to hear back from you."

Will hit send and laid there for a few moments doubting he would get a response.
Much to his surprise, his phone buzzed.

"Hey. I'm up. Shouldn't you be texting your new girl?"

Will sighed at the remark and rolled his eyes texting back.

"I'm glad you're okay. Tell the boy I said Hello."

"For the last time Will, Noah and I are not together. You're ridiculous. Good night."

Will rolled over shoving his face into the pillow feeling a familiar longing in the pit of his stomach. He missed her so fucking much. He hated himself and who he had turned into ever since the accident.

He tossed and turned for an hour and tried to fight the urge but he couldn't anymore. He reached over into his bedside table, fumbling around until he heard the familiar shake of the pills in the bottle. He popped it open and swallowed one of the pills, absolutely hating it, but he knew it would help him relax and sleep.

He rolled over, just dreaming of Charlotte like usual and eventually passed out from the euphoria of the drug flowing through him.

He knew him and Charlotte have both moved on but he still missed her so much. Yes, he had been seeing this girl on the side....but ever since him and Charlotte broke up, he wanted nothing more than to be with her...but what he's done is unforgivable and he ruined everything between them. He knew he would probably never get her back unless if there really was a God. Will didn't believe in miracles anymore.
_______________________________

The next morning, Charlotte woke up and showered, dressing in some black leggings and a Motionless In White black, orange, and white Halloween graphic shirt. It was slightly too big but still looked really cute on her. She plopped down on the couch, deciding to look at Will's Snapchat story. She hated doing it to herself but she still checked in on him here and there to see what he was up to.

It was the usual.

Another night of partying, smoking, and drinking with random girls all over him and dudes who looked like they'd had a rough go at life. It was horrifying to watch him go down this path. He had so much trauma he hadn't had help for and she knew, by his newly found lifestyle, he was on the edge. She still loved him so much, but after everything that happened, it changed him....nothing could be repaired unless he agreed to get help.

Charlotte pried herself from his story just feeling empty. Everyone processes loss differently, and the grieving is what tore them apart. Things were so far gone that they couldn't help each other.

After a little while off her trying to distract herself, her phone rang. She smiled a little to see Noah's name.

"Hey, you." She greeted into the phone happy it was him. They had grown to be very good friends over the last couple years. Noah's friendliness grew on her. Also, he was there for her and comforted her through the early grieving...and for that she was forever grateful.

"Hey, beautiful." Noah said, Charlotte hearing the smile in his voice.

"The guys and I are in town for the weekend and we're going to a party. Come with. Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase," Noah continued. He was purposely being annoying to get her to say yes and make him stop.

"Okay, okay," she started giggling, "Please stop!"

"HA! I'll pick you up at 7," Noah said proudly then hung up before she could argue. Charlotte rolled her eyes laughing and texted him, "you're annoying."

"You love me though 😉 "

"I didn't say all of that. 👀 😏 "

______________________________

Noah arrived at 7 on the dot. Noah had a flat in the city and he would come stay often. Every time he came to the city he made sure to see Charlotte. Nothing had ever happened between them but he had really grown to adore her and quite honestly wanted to try and take it to the next level soon.  

He wondered how she felt about him, but Charlotte was a natural flirt anyway. It was in her character and it made her very charming. It made her a great business woman always engaging with her clients. But Noah wondered if it was different with him.

They spent quite a bit of time together and when they weren't physically around each other they talked almost daily. However, he also realized by the way she still talked about Will, that she wasn't over him. And he was starting to feel a little impatient about it. When was she going to realize who was really there for her? Why couldn't she just kick Will to the curb once and for all?

Noah got out of the car, and came to open the passenger side door for her. He always insisted even though Charlotte kept telling him he didn't need to do that.

"You look great, as usual." Noah smirked as Charlotte walked toward him.

"So do you." Charlotte smiled back hugging him first and then getting into his car. He shut the door for her after she was in, jogging back to the driver's side ready to go get annihilated tonight.

Noah sped off with squealing tires as Charlotte cracked open a Dr. McGillicuddy's menthol nip to start the night off.