Chapter Twenty-One

"Your name fit into my mouth better than my own ever has. Like I was born to speak it."
____

Nat's breathing stopped entirely. Natara was looking at her with such joy and love she could barely comprehend it.
"You remember?" The question sounded numb and breathy even to her own ears.

"Did me saying that a hundred times give it away?" Natara teased, though a hint of concern was forming in those green eyes.

"Right. That's good." Natasha cleared her throat and abruptly stood and walked out.

____

Natara was too shocked to say anything. She simply nodded at the wall blankly, as if waiting for it to answer her questions.
She was dating a fool. A beautiful, incredible, loveable, and gorgeous fool. Standing and following, Natara found herself outside.

Nat was there, arms crossed over her chest with her hands on each bicep.

"Natasha," Tara murmered cautiously, approaching carefully. "Talk to me, Habib Albi."
She saw Nat's head tilt at the name, as if her body was physically reacting in a way her mind wasn't allowing.

"There's nothing to talk about."

"Okay," Natara whispered, hands reaching out to caress the back of the spy's arms before she stopped herself. Natara could see Nat go still, clearly sensing her nearness and hovering hands.
"Can I touch you?" She asked.
Receiving a nod, Tara slowly let her hands run down the woman's arms, pulling Natasha's body into her front gently.

"I don't know what to do," Nat admitted instantly, leaning into her body without meaning to. "You're back... and I feel awkward. Like you're a stranger. Which is crazy because you're finally not one." Natasha sensed Natara go still and internally winced as she worried she'd said something truly wrong.

Then she felt a kiss, so soft it could be mistaken for a flowers petal, against the back of her neck and moving up.

"Does this feel strange?" Natara whispered and Nat's breath caught.

"You know it doesn't."

"I'm not a stranger, Natasha. We just lost a few weeks, that's all. I'm not different. New memories, yes. New experiences, also yes. But I'm still me. You think weapon induced amnesia could alter my award winning personality?"

Natasha was physically weak against her, head tilting to the side to allow her lips better access. "I missed you." Her voice broke and shook. "So much."

"I know."

"And I feel so guilty."

Natara's grip on her tightened and when her voice spoke up it sounded fragile, like she was trying to conceal anger which only made Nat feel even more guilty.
"

For what?"

"For letting us walk into that mess. For letting you get hurt. For kissing you when you weren't you and wanting you even if it wasn't really you-"

Natara spun her around, hugging her tight. Nat's hands wrapped around her waist like a drowning person who'd been thrown a buoy. She breathed her in, already crying. This was all too much, too perfect. She knew she should be grabbing the opportunity before it was taken again but that felt so wrong right now. Like she didn't deserve it.