Chapter Fifty-Five

"Who am I when I feel? What dies in me when I am me?"
____

***

"Oh- Ms. Faez-"

"I thought I told you to leave the issue alone," Natara greeted. She was leant against a concrete pillar, one leg bent so her foot could rest against it too.

"Right, but-" Peter steeled himself, taking a deep breath and looking at the redhead determinedly. He hadn't seen her since their first meeting. "I couldn't do that."

Natara titled her head, eyes moving over him in a way that made the young boy swallow. "Do you regret it yet?"

"No."

"Hmph." Running her tongue over her teeth, Tara pushed off the wall fluidly. "Then you're a fool." She walked closer and took the bag on his one shoulder, putting the other strap on the other shoulder so he carried it properly. "But at least you believe in your decisions."

Peter didn't breathe in this close proximity. "Right...?"

"I'm going for a late lunch. Join me."

Not sensing much of an option, and sane enough to not say no, the young boy did, bag properly on his back as he walked beside her. "So... what have you been doing since you gave me that mysterious and threatening warning before disappearing?" He asked after a few steps of silence.

"Did you feel threatened?" Natara simply asked, voice smooth and the slightest bit teasing. Of course that was the part she replied to.

"No." His voice rose an octave.

"Okay, ya Helo." Natara kept walking, eyes scanning instinctively.

"Ya? Hel-" Peter tried to pronounce the word, frowning. "What does that mean? What language is that?"

Now Natara glanced down at him and a smile twitched. "It's Arabic. My home language. What it means is none of your concern."

Peter blinked, assuming it was something insulting then that he really didn't want to know. "I didn't know that was your first language."

"Most people don't."

"Can you speak a lot of languages?"

"Fluently?" Natara checked. "Ten."

Peter blinked, shaking his head as he tried to absorb the sheer amount of words that must be flying around inside the Avenger's head. "I mean... I can speak some Spanish and Italian." That sounded so lame now.

Natara just hummed, definitely fighting a smile now. "I like languages. I'm good at it."