Chapter 30. Dumb best friends

"So, we aren't working on our video game at lunch break?"

"I need to finish the assignment. I don't want to disappoint Mr. Kim. But you can work on that new design alone. After school, let's stay back and work together," I say, grabbing my chemistry textbook from my bag. Jungkook nods to me with a frown.

"So, what were you doing yesterday whole night?"

"Just slept. I was so tired," I say opening my textbook to the chapter we were currently dealing with before pretending to read it. I didn't want Jungkook to ask me more questions. Fortunately, Mr. Park soon arrives and starts the class.

Although Tae's gang, especially Hobi was dying to ask me a lot of questions during lunch, I quickly finish my plate and excuse myself, saying I need to finish my English assignment. Then I rush towards the back garden of our school, cause it had already past 1 pm.

I reach the place to see Yoongi sitting under a tree with a book open in his hands. It was easy to spot him cause there was no one else here.

He hasn't seen me yet. So, I slowly walk toward him whilst studying the place. I have actually never come to this secluded area in our school before. It isn't a literal garden or anything. There are just a few bushes, trees, and wild grass.

Yoongi looks up from the book on hearing my footsteps. Then he glances at his watch. "You are late by six minutes," he says as I reach near him.

I sigh and sit down on the grass beside him. "So, what do you want me to do?"

He hands me the book that he was reading. I frown at him, confused. "Read from the third paragraph," he says. "Be clear and smooth."

Don't tell me he decided to make me his audiobook.

"C'mon.." he ushers.

I nod and start reading from the third paragraph.

"I looked over at Augustus Waters, who looked back at me. You could almost see through his eyes they were so blue.
'There will come a time,' I said, 'when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you...

Wait which book is this?" I turn it, looking at the front cover.

"The fault in our stars by John Green," Yoongi says. "It's the story about a teenage girl diagnosed with lung cancer."

"Oh.. it's only the first chapter. Can we read again from the beginning?" I ask.

"Yeah.." he nods.

"But did you have lunch already?" I ask.

"I only have breakfast and dinner," he replies.

"Why? Are you on diet?" I frown.

"No, it's just a habit," he replies leaning back comfortably on the tree behind. "Read.."

I nod and flip the book to its first page. "Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed..." I commence reading. Yoongi tilts his head and keeps staring at my mouth as I read. I just ignore it and concentrate on reading. The story was kind of nice.