Chapter 7: Minato's Envy and Goal

The rewards were disappointingly minimal, and Tatsuma couldn't help but deduce the underlying reasons. First and foremost, the collaboration with Minato Namikaze on this challenge seemed to diminish the accolades. Furthermore, the glaring difference in strength between Tatsuma and Sakumo resulted in what could only be described as an opportunistically derived victory.

Adding to the complexity of the situation, Sakumo had voluntarily acknowledged Tatsuma's triumph, rendering the match somewhat incomplete. The amalgamation of these factors contributed to Tatsuma's meager rewards following his hard-fought victory over Sakumo.

Despite having a hunch about the reasons behind the modest rewards, Tatsuma couldn't shake off a pervasive sense of discomfort. After all, the battle against Sakumo had proven to be far more perilous than the enduring quality of Minato, akin to facing a high-quality wagyu beef that consistently delivers satisfaction with little effort.

If Tatsuma hadn't possessed prior knowledge about the infamous "One Thousand Years of Death," his chastity might not have been so miraculously preserved. Adding to the ordeal, he had endured a formidable kick from Sakumo earlier, leaving his ribs still pulsating with pain.

The tumultuous emotions swirling within him found their way onto Tatsuma's visage. Hiruzen, observing the subtle expressions of discomfort crossing Tatsuma's face, cast a disapproving glance at Sakumo.

Unbeknownst to Hiruzen, the intricate turmoil within Tatsuma's psyche remained hidden from his perception. Even as the Hokage, when startled by Sakumo's Secret Taijutsu, he had felt a twinge of phantom pain during Sakumo's demonstration. One could only imagine the intensity of Tatsuma's firsthand encounter, nearly enduring the brunt of it all.

With a hint of remorse, Hiruzen directed his gaze toward Tatsuma and Minato, expressing, "Tatsuma, Minato, both of you demonstrated exceptional skill. In time, I'm confident you will evolve into formidable ninjas dedicated to safeguarding the village."

Despite the praise from Hiruzen, Minato, who should have been elated, harbored residual unease stemming from the recent "close call." He responded with a somewhat absentminded nod.

Observing Minato's lingering distress, Hiruzen felt a heightened sense of regret and continued, "Let's conclude your training for today. You're both still young, and subjecting yourselves to overly strenuous exercises isn't suitable. How about this? I'll treat you to a barbecue, and afterward, Sakumo can guide you in acquiring new ninja tools."

"Lord Hokage, we—"

Tatsuma hesitated, reluctant to draw excessive attention given their current status and abilities. Acknowledging the potential drawbacks, he was about to voice his reservations when Hiruzen interjected, proposing, "As a compromise, how about refraining from divulging the unconventional Ninjutsu techniques of my subordinates?"

Realizing the diplomatic nature of the suggestion, Tatsuma understood it would be impolite to decline further. With a nod and a polite smile, he responded, "You're very gracious, Hokage-sama."

As for the title "sama" Tatsuma didn't perceive it as implying subservience. To him, it held a resemblance to addressing a boss, supervisor, or manager in his previous life, devoid of any implications of inferiority.

That night, Tatsuma returned to his modest apartment, having savored a hearty meal—his first substantial meat intake since arriving in this unfamiliar world. Laden with several sets of brand-new ninja tools, he reflected on the invaluable additions to his arsenal.

While the cost of ninja tools was a considerable expense for him, they were mere commonplace consumables for a seasoned Jonin like Sakumo. The set he received wasn't limited to the basics, such as Kunai, Shuriken, and Senbon; it aimed to elevate his arsenal to a new level.