Chapter 78: Trust Your Instincts When You Sense Trouble

"Yo! Tatsuma, here you are again. This time, it's been 33 minutes since you last left. Making progress, huh?"

Inside the communication base, a middle-aged man with blond hair saw Tatsuma appear and joked while looking at the clock. Tatsuma scratched his head and asked, "Uncle Yamanaka Tani, any news from the front lines?"

Tatsuma, skilled in the arts of music, chess, calligraphy, and painting, had a sweet tongue. Seeing his smile, Yamanaka Tani couldn't help but think of the child still in his wife's belly. A smile unconsciously appeared on his face as he replied, "Of course, there is news. What about the things you promised to exchange?"

Tatsuma chuckled, reached into his bag, and took out several lunch boxes, handing them to the communication team. Because they had to connect with the main forces, the Hyuga team, and the village simultaneously, the communication team dared not leave.

Originally planning to endure the hunger and, if necessary, munch on a Military Rations Pill, the communication team welcomed Tatsuma's unexpected visit. Yamanaka Tani naturally made the most of it, asking Tatsuma to help with cooking.

Yamanaka Tani opened the lunch box while saying, "Things are going smoothly on the front lines. Although Chiyo's appearance was unexpected, with Tsunade and Orochimaru on our side, we've gained some advantages."

Upon hearing this, Tatsuma nodded, feeling a bit relieved. He then asked, "How about the situation with the Hyuga side?"

Yamanaka Tani shook his head and replied, "They are infiltrating, much slower than the main forces. They've probably just entered the heartland of the Land of Rivers. The earliest they can reach the Wind Country camp is tomorrow."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, don't worry. Hyuga Miyako and Hyuga Kai are both outstanding members of the current generation of the Hyuga Clan, especially Hyuga Miyako. As long as nothing unexpected happens, He has the potential to be a main family Elder in the future. Their mission this time is just to investigate whether the Hidden Sand Village camp is developing a new type of poison. The situation there should be similar to ours, and they should be able to handle it easily."

Yamanaka Tani offered a few comforting words, displaying great patience. After all, who would dislike a child who cares for others? However, after speaking, he also felt the pang of hunger and began to devour his meal. The battlefield environment was nothing like the village, and even Yamanaka Tani, born into the Shinobi clan, didn't insist on maintaining an elegant dining etiquette.

Tatsuma didn't disturb the others but quietly waited for them to finish their meals. Only then did he take the initiative to help tidy up the lunch boxes and then deliver them to the logistics area.

Every Ninja heading to the battlefield needed to be prepared for active combat, even the possibility of death. However, not every Ninja had the opportunity to face the enemy on the front lines.

Besides frontline combat, logistics support, medical care, and other roles were equally crucial in warfare. Therefore, tasks like cooking and cleaning were assigned to specialized Ninjas, typically Genin.

Engaging in such tasks, Genin didn't feel belittled; after all, even tasks like washing dishes and cooking contributed to wartime achievements. In comparison to D-rank missions in the village, the rewards were often more abundant.

Not only in terms of monetary rewards but also in terms of merit, if the conflict prolongs, the village will consider the duration and difficulty of the missions, granting them more rewards. They might even raise the mission rank, enriching their resumes.

Even during the previous Ninja World War, such positions were highly sought after. Without the need to engage in combat, individuals could accumulate a substantial amount of merit and rewards by handling logistics in the rear.