Chapter 39: Orochimaru's Gaze!

Sadness can be expressed in many forms, and there are various ways to alleviate it. Some people experience immediate pain and release their sorrow through crying.

Kushina, however, treads a different path. She wraps her sorrow in a formidable shell, allowing it to incubate within. The shell remains unbroken, growing silently and unnoticed, waiting for the opportune moment or triggered by a certain event before all hell breaks loose.

Clearly, Kushina aligns with the latter category. The tragedy unfolding in the Land of Whirlpools has cast its somber shadow over time, its impact gradually seeping into the village of Konoha and permeating the awareness of ordinary folk for nearly a week.

As an orphan of the Uzumaki Clan, Kushina has borne an invisible burden since the tragedy unfolded. No explicit demand for revenge on behalf of the Uzumaki Clan has been made, yet involuntary thoughts of such vengeance linger in her mind.

She sets one goal after another for herself, advancing along what she deems the right path. Before achieving success, she refuses to release the driving force that hatred has brought her.

However, her initial stride toward graduation from the Academy faced direct obstruction from Tatsuma and Minato. This setback at the outset left Kushina uncertain, rendering her unable to make even the simplest choices.

Much like a vulnerable infant, Kushina allows her emotions to guide her actions, as evident in her current bout of tears.

Attempting to block or console her at this moment is akin to loosely applying a band-aid to the already cracked shell of Kushina; it's more effective to let her directly release her pent-up emotions.

After an extended period of weeping, compounded by the exhaustion from two consecutive practical tests, Kushina succumbed to a deep slumber. Sarutobi Atoma observed Kushina, peacefully asleep yet still whimpering. Gently picking her up, he addressed Orochimaru:

"Orochimaru-sama, I'll take Kushina back first"

"It's fine; I have enough time today, we will wait for you"

Orochimaru nonchalantly waved his hand, prompting their team's urgent recall. With no word from Tsunade after her return home and Jiraiya summoned by Sarutobi Hiruzen for a conversation, Orochimaru, on a brief respite, didn't mind dedicating this time.

However, once Sarutobi Atoma departed, Orochimaru turned his attention to Tatsuma and Minato, inquiring, "Both of you have performed well in the task you were given by the village. As for the upcoming second round of tests, do you wish to continue?"

Tatsuma maintained a stoic silence, avoiding both speech and eye contact with Minato. Minato's recent commitment to Kushina had already signaled his intent to persevere. Tatsuma, however, needed some time for contemplation.

"I will proceed with the assessment," Minato calmly declared.

As expected, Minato wanted to continue, and Orochimaru shifted his gaze to Tatsuma, awaiting his response.

Tatsuma took a moment to contemplate before raising his head to meet Orochimaru's eyes. With a respectful tone, he inquired, "Orochimaru-sama, may I ask a question?"

"Of course, Tatsuma-kun," Orochimaru replied.

Orochimaru had already reclaimed his elegant smile, observing Tatsuma with keen curiosity. He wondered what question could influence Tatsuma's decision to graduate early.

Inhaling deeply, Tatsuma asked, "Orochimaru-sama, I'd like to understand why you are personally overseeing our assessment today. Is it because you perceive potential in us?"

Upon grasping Tatsuma's concern, Orochimaru discerned the young one's apprehension about post-graduation resources – not the tangible kind, but the intangible mentorship and team support.

With a light chuckle, Orochimaru shook his head and remarked, "It's precisely because I don't perceive significant potential in either of you, or rather, the village has no intention of having you both follow in my footsteps. Hence, I don't need to avoid bias and can serve as your assessor."

Tatsuma, ready to pose further inquiries, was halted as Orochimaru waved his hand, stating, "I understand your curiosity. Rest assured, the village won't let you down. And here's a little hint: if you successfully graduate, the Jonin leading your team is very likely to be my teammate."

Orochimaru had no qualms about unveiling these secrets to the two, recognizing that only when the bait in the trap is sufficiently alluring can it entice the prey into the snare.

At the current moment, divulging the potential magnitude of their future gains to Tatsuma and Minato aimed to stoke their enthusiasm for the upcoming assessments.

While the duo's qualities already ensured their Genin status, Orochimaru was not content with ending it on a predictable note. He desired to inject some excitement into the proceedings.

Upon discovering the potential Jonin leader for their future team, Tatsuma and Minato shared a knowing look, a surge of motivation coursing through them. Tatsuma nodded, affirming, "Orochimaru-sama, I will proceed with the assessment."

"Then take a short break. When your sensei returns, the assessment will commence. I can assure you, it won't be child's play," Orochimaru stated. As he spoke, his smile abruptly vanished, replaced by a cold, fierce, and murderous aura that emanated from him. His golden eyes appeared unfocused yet intensely fixed on the two.

Gulp.

Tatsuma and Minato both swallowed nervously, with Tatsuma particularly skeptical about the significance of such a formidable presence.

In his previous life, when people asserted that an actor played a convincing criminal with a killer look in their eyes, he never experienced any genuine reaction while watching them.

However, in this moment, the piercing gaze from Orochimaru induced a sensation as though a deranged murderer had perched on their shoulders, brandishing a cleaver and pressing it against their necks.

"Furthermore, I want to make one thing clear," Orochimaru suddenly unleashed his imposing aura, the corners of his mouth lifting in a smile that carried the unsettling air of a manic killer. It wasn't overtly threatening, but it instilled a profound sense of dread.

Maintaining his unsettling smile, Orochimaru continued, "If you fail to pass my assessment, I might exercise some of my privileges to draft reports deeming you utterly useless. Consequently, upon your return to the Academy, you'll be viewed as nothing more than waste in the eyes of the Jonin."

"With your talents, I'm confident you can discern the gravity of what I'm implying, correct?"

No guessing was required; Orochimaru was overtly indicating that missing this opportunity meant they shouldn't anticipate encountering a competent Jonin leader in the future.

Tatsuma furrowed his brow, scrutinizing Orochimaru. He harbored suspicions that Orochimaru might be bluffing, akin to Morino Ibiki's tactics to instill fear in participants during the Chunin Exams.

Yet, Orochimaru displayed no emotional vulnerabilities, leaving Tatsuma with the uneasy feeling that Orochimaru was indeed capable of such audacious actions.

While Minato was still deep in contemplation, Tatsuma snapped out of it first and asserted, "I understand, Orochimaru-sama. Your assessment may pose challenges, but I trust that you wouldn't intentionally block our path. If we exhibit qualities that impress you, I believe you won't consider us as having failed the assessment."

"Hmm, quite confident. Give it a try," Orochimaru maintained his smile. Observing Minato regain his determination, Orochimaru nodded in satisfaction and remarked, "However, if I were you, I'd concentrate on recovering your condition."

"I understand," Tatsuma nodded. Then, he and Minato exchanged a glance, both swiftly forming hand seals to refine and restore their chakra.

----

Check out my patreon for more advanced chapters up to 50 at patreon.com/HellGolt