Chapter 49: Fame Is Deadly For A Ninja

Double Release Today Enjoy!

---

Tatsuma remained oblivious to Jiraiya's nocturnal activities involving alcohol. Upon waking up and stepping out of the house, he discovered Yuko had once again revovered her will to live. The despondency that lingered the night before, marked by the feeling of imminent demise, had miraculously dissipated.

Meanwhile, Nasu and the others found themselves in the custody of the Waterfall Village Ninjas and the law enforcement authorities from neighboring towns in the Land of Fire. Tatsuma had anticipated this to be a daunting challenge, yet to his surprise, Jiraiya managed to resolve the matter in just one night.

Observing Nasu being escorted away by the Waterfall Village Jonin, Minato questioned Jiraiya, "Jiraiya sensei, given that the Waterfall Village Jonin is already handling the situation, why must we proceed with the mission?"

"Because this is the Land of Fire. Even if they could have made the arrest earlier, they can't take unilateral action here."

iraiya sighed and said, "If Konoha Ninjas take action, even if it takes longer, the only ones harmed will be the civilians that the Daimyo doesn't care about."

But even if the Ninja from the Waterfall Village were to act, even if it could reduce harm to civilians, the Daimyo wouldn't agree. Because in this case, the ones harmed would be those important to the Daimyo—the prestige of a major nation."

Minato continued to grapple with the situation, finding it challenging to fully comprehend, while Tatsuma maintained his silence, recognizing that Jiraiya deemed no need for further explanation; he grasped the intricacies.

As for whether this perspective was ethically sound, Tatsuma found himself unsure how to pass judgment. The preservation of a nation's sovereignty often demands such actions, even at the cost of civilian well-being, though the harm inflicted is typically short-term and limited to a few individuals.

HOnce a precedent is set, the sovereignty of the Land of Fire will be trampled upon. Rebuilding it will be difficult, and Konoha will also be greatly affected. People will question Konoha's strength, leading to a reduction in mission assignments.

Therefore, from a higher perspective, sacrificing a very small number of people to uphold the dignity of the entire country is indeed worthwhile. However, Tatsuma is currently on the grassroots level, where he can see the genuine and tangible harm people are experiencing.

Observing his two students, who had abruptly lost their enthusiasm after completing the mission, Jiraiya sighed, affectionately tousled their heads, and uttered, "Alright, let's head back."

"Jiraiya-sama,"

Upon learning of their imminent departure, Yuko interjected, "The village wishes to arrange a banquet as a gesture of gratitude towards you. If you're not occupied, could you stay and partake in the celebration?"

Jiraiya dismissed the notion with a wave of his hand, remarking, "Forget it, we're ninjas, and ninjas don't crave flowers and applause. Plus, our tardiness only added to the tragedies here. It's rather awkward to linger."

As he spoke, he allowed his hands to hang down, gently resting them on the backs of Tatsuma and Minato's necks. Leading the two away from the village, once a suitable distance was established, Jiraiya inquired, "Ruining the chance for both of you to receive well-deserved praise—does that bother you?"

Minato shook his head, and Tatsuma, nonchalant, shrugged, signaling his indifference. Jiraiya nodded and conveyed, "For ninjas, the greatest fear is being burdened by fame. In Konoha, only one ninja needs to pursue that – the Hokage. If you're not aspiring to be the Hokage or have no interest in it, then steer clear. You shouldn't let even a hint of fame tarnish you."