Chapter 3: Entrance Examination

"Where the leaves dance, the fire thrives endlessly. The flickering flames shall cast a glow upon the village, ushering in a season of new growth!"

Within the hallowed halls of Konoha Academy, successive waves of eager students hung on every word of Lord Third, the venerable Hokage Sarutobi Hiruzen. A sea of faces displayed admiration and unabashed excitement, as the prospect of a new chapter in their lives unfolded before them.

Amidst the throng of fresh faces, Minato Namikaze, sporting an infectious smile, turned to his companion Tatsuma. With emotions now settled, he inquired, "Tatsuma, do you reckon we'll find ourselves in the same class?"

Tatsuma shook his head and responded, "How would I know? Yet, if we excel, we might find ourselves placed in an exclusive class."

"Exclusive class? Is that even a thing?"

Minato was perplexed; the concept of an exclusive class had never crossed his ears before. Hokage-sama had made no mention of it either. Tatsuma merely shrugged, offering no further explanation.

While there officially was no "Exclusive class" within the academy, Tatsuma had keenly observed a cohort of children adorned with clan emblems meticulously drawn on their attire. They occupied seats nearest to Lord Third.

Further away, another group of youngsters, distinguished by both clan symbols and well-appointed gear, stood out. Though not necessarily affiliated with prominent ninja clans, their parents were likely serving as active-duty ninjas.

In the third stratum, civilians occupied the space. Their attire bore no clan emblems, and while their equipment may not have been entirely comprehensive, their ninja tools, pouches, clothes, and shoes were notably pristine and new. Their evident prosperity suggested favorable financial circumstances.

Tatsuma and Minato found themselves on the outermost perimeter, surrounded by peers who exhibited signs of hardship—emaciated figures clad in faded or ill-fitting garments. The wear and tear on their ninja tool pouches hinted at a second-hand acquisition, and like Tatsuma, many were likely orphans.

Despite sharing the status of war orphans, Tatsuma and Minato stood apart from their counterparts. Unlike the malnourished children around them, it wasn't a matter of preferential treatment from the village; all war orphans received identical financial assistance. The distinction lay in the fact that the duo had formulated clear and purposeful plans for every monthly stipend they received.

Tatsuma, having navigated the intricacies of two distinct worlds, possessed a keen understanding of income distribution and the art of financial management. In contrast, Minato's maturity seemed precocious, suggesting a depth of understanding beyond his years.

The meticulously arranged seating plan left Tatsuma skeptical about the randomness of the Academy's class assignments. While Minato, perhaps viewing it through the lens of childhood innocence, might have believed in the arbitrary decisions of the Academy senseis, Tatsuma couldn't afford such nonchalance.

"Follow me; we're about to conduct an entrance test for you."

Shortly after Sarutobi Hiruzen concluded his address, several Konoha Ninjas, adorned in Chunin vests, ushered the new students toward the training ground.

Tatsuma cast his gaze across the landscape and observed a series of targets in the distance. Positioned five meters away from these targets, a lengthy table sprawled with meticulously arranged Kunais, Shurikens, Senbons, and various other standard ninja tools.

Taking in the scene, Tatsuma instinctively turned to Minato. In that shared glance, a tacit understanding passed between them, and a grateful smile adorned their faces. The impromptu training from the previous day had equipped Minato with improved proficiency in throwing ninja tools.