Chapter 113: The Strongest Genjutsu

Upon hearing Hiruzen's question, Tatsuma decisively fell silent because he knew that it wasn't the leader asking a question, but rather the leader intending to speak about himself.

Interpreting the question in this way, it meant Sarutobi Hiruzen's perception of himself as a ninja, rather than what a ninja was as stated in the question.

Tatsuma understood this principle, but Minato did not. He immediately began pondering. Then, as Hiruzen took a breath, preparing to embark on a lengthy discourse, Minato interjected:

"Jiraiya sensei once said, a ninja is someone who endures what ordinary people cannot. When I trained with Brother Duy before, he also said that a ninja is someone who understands self-restraint.

So I believe a ninja is someone who, even when wielding great power, knows where to apply that power, rather than acting recklessly.

The power of ninjas should be used for protection, rather than being brave and ruthless, and judging heroes based on their strength. The power of the latter will only make people fear it, and the power of the former will be recognized by others. "

Tatsuma noticed that Sarutobi Hiruzen's expression had turned somewhat resentful. He promptly pulled on Minato's sleeve and then spoke, "Our understanding of the essence of being a ninja is still shallow. If possible, Hokage-sama, could you enlighten us on what truly defines a ninja?"

Minato, being pulled, felt puzzled at first, but upon hearing the latter part of Tatsuma's statement, he realized what was being implied. Feeling somewhat ashamed, he said, "I apologize, Hokage-sama. It was my narrow definition of a ninja. Being inexperienced, I am unable to answer this question."

Minato thought it was because of his incomplete and inaccurate explanation.

Sarutobi Hiruzen's expression softened at this point. He was beginning to worry that if Minato continued speaking, he would truly have no words left to say. Fortunately, Tatsuma intervened in time.

'This Sakamoto Tatsuma, he looks like a true inheritor of the Will of Fire!'

After sorting through his thoughts, Hiruzen removed many points that Minato had already mentioned and then spoke up, "Do not underestimate yourselves. Both of you have a profound understanding of what it means to be a ninja."

"However, there are things that you who have just set foot on this path cannot see, and I, having walked further along the path of the ninja, can only share some insights from a retrospective perspective."

After a modest preamble, Hiruzen turned around and said, "Ninjas and the way of the shinobi are inseparable. Or rather, only those who understand their own path of shinobi and walk upon it are worthy of being called ninjas.

Among these ninjas, the meaning varies in different eras. Before Konoha became the leading village and established the ninja village system, the duty of ninjas was to defend and develop their own clans.

Ninjas from different clans, sharing the same beliefs, would often find themselves trapped in the cycle of conflict in their pursuit of their own paths of shinobi. It is truly regrettable that many outstanding ninjas perished due to the clash of these paths.

Later, the appearance of the First Hokage, Senju Hashirama-sama, added a new meaning to being a ninja. It meant uniting people with similar aspirations. He set aside past grievances and led the Senju Clan to form an alliance with their former enemies, the Uchiha Clan."

"Afterward, the First Hokage-sama enabled many individuals with similar aspirations to cease internal conflicts. He also established a ninja village, where ninjas from different clans could practice their own paths of shinobi while aiding others."