Chapter 136: Sensei's Selfishness

"Phew~ Finally done with the exam. The guy in front of me, he's from the Aburame Clan. I saw bugs crawling all over his scalp with my own eyes. Do you know how terrifying that is?"

Two hours later, Tatsuma, who had exited the examination room, took a deep breath and said to Minato. Minato, who had intended to offer some words of comfort, suddenly thought of his recent food experiences, imagining bugs crawling on people's heads.

Although Minato knew that the bugs from the Aburame family were not the same species as the ones he had eaten recently, he still felt a churn in his stomach. He swallowed back the urge to vomit and weakly said, "Let's not talk about it. It's all over now."

Tatsuma nodded in agreement. Today's written test went smoothly enough. In times of war, there weren't as many variations as during Naruto's Chunin exam, and the exam papers were serious.

However, the assessment still focused on intelligence gathering ability. The latter high-scoring questions were written in code, which Genin had no access to in their dictionaries.

The encoded messages are also classified. The ones taught in school are the basic universal codes. After becoming a Genin, one must learn the newer versions of the codes. Furthermore, there are even higher levels of classified codes beyond that.

The codes used in the exam papers are mostly ones that only Chunin have the opportunity to encounter. Some segments even use codes that only Jonin are authorized to view. In such cases, one must rely on their intelligence-gathering abilities to uncover the answers within the examination room.

However, this applies to most Genin participating in the Chunin exam. Tatsuma didn't know how Minato completed his answer sheet; he solved it directly himself.

Tatsuma could already memorize the dictionaries of codes used by Jonin, thanks to his sensei, Tsunade. He had to act as Tsunade's interpreter. Minato probably did the same, or else he wouldn't have discovered the mistakes in Jiraiya's interpretation of the codes earlier.

As for the codes used by Chunin, Tatsuma indeed didn't have the latest version. However, there are older versions in Tobirama's study. Most of them are the same, and the remaining differences can be deduced to derive the content.

Tatsuma speculated that Minato must have solved the problems on his own as well. After all, they were the first to stop writing in the exam room, faster even than the ninja lurking inside to "dispatch" answers to other examinees.

Just as the two were preparing to leave the school, Sarutobi Atoma appeared again, wearing a satisfied smile. He said, "You two did very well. I just heard that you both passed with full marks."

"This time the questions were relatively simple, and the types of questions were more straightforward, lowering the difficulty level compared to previous exams."

Minato greeted Sarutobi Atoma and then modestly replied. Upon hearing this, some of the examinees who passed by with expressions of astonishment, upon realizing it was Minato and Tatsuma, their expressions became indescribable.

Among their relief, there was also envy, jealousy, and a hint of admiration.

Tatsuma nodded in agreement when Minato mentioned the simplicity of the questions. Sarutobi Atoma twitched the corner of his mouth slightly. Well, perhaps he had been away from real ninja work for too long?

He couldn't understand some of the questions, yet these two students found them simple. And they even compared them to previous exams, what did that mean? Could they also tackle past exams?

Shaking his head to dispel thoughts of being worthless, Sarutobi Atoma said to the two, "Tomorrow is the team combat assessment. Both of you will participate individually, which puts you at a disadvantage against other teams in terms of numbers."