Chapter 42: Jonin Team Leader and Sensei

When Jiraiya uttered, "I want to take them both as disciples," it revealed that he hadn't definitively decided to accept them as apprentices. However, if he declares that he "wished to take both of them as disciples," it signifies an inability on his part to take on apprentices.

Certainly, taking both of them as disciples appears to be a desire deeply rooted in Jiraiya's heart. Yet, the fact remains that fulfilling this desire poses a challenge for him.

According to Tatsuma's assessment, Minato is slated to become Jiraiya's disciple, but Tatsuma himself is an "unexpected" scenario. When there's only one prodigy, it's standard for Sarutobi Hiruzen to assign them to Jiraiya, who is more inclined to take on apprentices.

However, with the emergence of two exceptional talents, Sarutobi Hiruzen must now grapple with the challenge of not only avoiding a shortage but also ensuring a balanced distribution. Additionally, he faces the task of allocating among his three disciples.

Orochimaru, who supervised their Genin exam, explicitly conveyed to Tatsuma that he wouldn't be taking on both individuals as apprentices. Jiraiya, on the other hand, is unable to accept both due to the need to accommodate Tsunade.

This put Tatsuma in a quandary. What advantages would he derive from becoming Tsunade's disciple? In this realm, the mentor-disciple dynamic holds great significance. Simply being part of a Jonin team doesn't automatically establish one as a Jonin's apprentice. Generally, the connection between a Jonin Squad Captain and Genin team members is usually one of authority and subordination or, at most, mentorship.

It mirrors the future scenario with Team 7, where Kakashi leads as a Jonin, and the three members address him as "sensei," but Kakashi refrains from officially adopting them as disciples. The true mentors or masters of Team 7, the genuine senseis, are the Sannin: Jiraiya, Orochimaru, and Tsunade. This encapsulates the essence of the mentor-disciple relationship.

The mentor-disciple relationship isn't merely a symbol of status; it serves as the conduit for passing down the ninja way and exclusive techniques, with Orochimaru's adoption standing as a notable exception.

If Tatsuma were to become Tsunade's disciple, his status would be impeccable, even surpassing Minato Namikaze, who originally became Jiraiya's disciple. However, Tsunade's expertise, in super strength and medical skills, is not suitable for Tatsuma. Oddly enough, these are precisely Tsunade's strengths but are the areas where Tatsuma is least skilled, as he lacks any special talents and has no interest in pursuing the medical ninja path.

Hence, what Tsunade can essentially provide him is a layer of endorsement in terms of status. Contemplating this, Tatsuma cast a glance at Sarutobi Hiruzen, displaying a hint of comprehension. Sarutobi Hiruzen's intention was for Jiraiya to guide the two as Jonin.

In the future, regardless of who becomes Tsunade's disciple, there's no imperative for them to fully adopt Tsunade's ninja path and techniques. Jiraiya will carve the path forward for both, freeing Tsunade from the need to personally guide her disciples.

The identity of Tsunade's disciple becomes inconsequential; what both the mentor and disciple can exchange is a mutual acknowledgment. Tsunade's reputation can shield the development of her disciples, and as the disciples mature, they, in turn, contribute to enhancing their master's renown.

One person who might find themselves at a disadvantage is Jiraiya. However, considering the bond between Jiraiya and Tsunade, He may not be bothered by willingly shouldering the disadvantage.

Upon grasping this dynamic, Tatsuma couldn't help but break into a smile. Sarutobi Hiruzen, who had been attentively observing the duo, was reminded of Uzumaki Mito's commendations on Tatsuma's resemblance to Tobirama sensei.

If Uzumaki Mito had initially praised Tatsuma's decisiveness in facing enemies, now Tatsuma's displayed thoughtfulness and ability to perceive nuances undeniably mirrored those of the Second Hokage.

"Alright, it's time for your team to acquaint themselves as well. Jiraiya, take these two youngsters with you. If there are any issues, don't hesitate to seek me out," Sarutobi Hiruzen gestured with a wave of his hand. Jiraiya nodded, glanced at the duo, and casually remarked, "Come along little ones."

And with that, Jiraiya swiftly darted toward a nearby window. In the midst of Sarutobi Hiruzen's expression transitioning from delight to sudden annoyance, Jiraiya inadvertently shattered the window once more, executing a hasty escape.

Observing the abrupt change in Sarutobi Hiruzen's demeanor, Tatsuma and Minato exchanged glances before cautiously navigating over the broken window, following Jiraiya in his escape.

After traversing a substantial portion of the core area, Jiraiya finally came to a halt on the rooftop of a building. Turning to the two who effortlessly followed, he quipped, "Not bad. I thought having Genin-level skills would be impressive."

Indeed,

Certainly, Jiraiya didn't exert himself fully. It was almost leisurely for him, yet not something any Genin could easily match. Some recently promoted Chunin might even find it daunting. Nevertheless, Tatsuma and Minato effortlessly kept pace, not breaking a sweat. Minato, feeling a tad sheepish, offered a smile and scratched his head. Tatsuma then remarked, "If you had employed the Body Flicker Jutsu, given our skills, catching up would be quite the challenge."

Jiraiya acknowledged Tatsuma's praise with a silent nod, then casually leaned against a low wall. "Even though I'm already acquainted with you two, we still need to go through the formalities. Let's begin with self-introductions. I'll kick it off as the leading Jonin. I'm Jiraiya, a Konoha Jonin skilled in Ninjutsu, excluding Lightning Release. I have a penchant for literary creation and drawing inspiration. What I can't stand, or rather, absolutely detest, is Orochimaru and his vile snakes. My aspiration is to reshape the ninja world, or assist others in doing so. Now, it's your turn."

Minato nodded and started, "I'm Minato Namikaze, a Konoha Genin proficient in Ninja Tool Throwing and Taijutsu, although not quite at Tatsuma's level. My hobby is reading."

"Hmm, there's nothing that comes to mind that I particularly dislike at the moment. My dream is to become a Ninja recognized and trusted by everyone, just like Hokage-sama."

"Hokage, huh? It's a pretty common dream at your age," Jiraiya remarked, glancing at Tatsuma. Tatsuma nodded and stated, "I'm Sakamoto Tatsuma, a Konoha Genin. I specialize in the same areas as Minato, and our skills are pretty evenly matched. My hobby is defeating people I respect. I do have one thing I specifically dislike, though, and that's this unruly hair. My dream is to seek out and overcome all worthy challengers and, if possible, find a way to make my hair straight and silky."

"Quite a robust sense of competitiveness. I've got your basic information, but you didn't mention anything about what I taught you. How come, even after my Ninjutsu guidance, you still aren't proficient?" Jiraiya playfully questioned. Minato was about to explain but was halted by Jiraiya, who tousled his hair with his hand. Then Jiraiya continued, "From now on, you can call me Jiraiya sensei, or just sensei. Although our temporary team will disband, no matter which one of you becomes Tsunade's disciple, it won't change the fact that you are my students. Got it?"

Minato nodded, then caught on to something amiss. Tatsuma looked at Jiraiya in disbelief. Jiraiya, too, realized the oversight, scratched his head, and said, "Ahaha~ Oops, slipped my mind. Well, you'll have to go through it sooner or later. Now that you know, let's focus on what's most important for you at the moment – learning.

Mastering the techniques of a ninja and how to become a true ninja. Since you're already my students, I won't hold back. Unless, of course, you only possess Lightning Release chakra, I can teach you."

Jiraiya spoke with great confidence. Minato nodded; Tatsuma had informed him that each ninja possesses their own chakra attributes, one or more. However, neither of them was certain about their own chakra attributes due to the expense of chakra paper, which was beyond their budget. Jiraiya seemed prepared and produced a few sheets of paper, saying, "Next, let's test your chakra attributes."

----

Check out my patreon for more advanced chapters up to 50 at patreon.com/HellGolt