Chapter 14: Narrow Victory

Caught in a precarious grappling situation, Tatsuma found himself at a distinct disadvantage, facing the risk of exhausting himself more quickly than Minato. In a strategic move, Tatsuma decided to take a calculated risk by releasing Minato's left hand and forcefully redirecting his right hand to the side, narrowly avoiding the kunai that grazed Tatsuma's cheek in the process.

Recognizing the fleeting opening, Tatsuma swiftly launched a counterattack, his hands targeting Minato's ribcage. Sensing the imminent danger, Minato rolled to the side, managing to evade the full impact, but Tatsuma's palm still connected with his left ribs in a decisive move.

After the impactful strike to Minato's ribcage, he attempted to roll and rise, only to find himself struggling to straighten his waist. Meanwhile, Tatsuma had already regained his footing and, observing Minato in a semi-crouched position, unleashed a direct left kick toward Minato's face.

In a defensive maneuver, Minato employed his left hand, simultaneously tilting his head to avoid the incoming kick. Gritting his teeth, he exerted force in an attempt to lift himself from the ground and counter Tatsuma's advancing left leg with a takedown.

Anticipating Minato's response, Tatsuma swiftly raised his leg, aiming for a downward kick. However, sensing the imminent strike, Minato, choosing not to engage directly, stepped back with calculated precision, recognizing there was no need to rush like Tatsuma.

Minato attempted to put some distance between himself and Tatsuma, but Tatsuma persistently pursued, launching a relentless barrage with his left fist and kunai. Minato adeptly defended and parried, showcasing the seamless coordination born out of their almost daily practice together.

Observing the intense exchange, Jiraiya tightly gripped the window frame, his expression growing serious.

"The white-haired brat seems anxious," Orochimaru remarked, breaking his silence as he analyzed the ongoing battle. Jiraiya instinctively nodded but then turned to question, "Orochimaru, are you referring to me?"

Orochimaru shook his head and responded, "I don't need to throw shade at you; you're already trailing behind."

"Damn it!"

"Enough! Keep watching!"

Sarutobi Hiruzen interrupted, his gaze fixed below as Minato, capitalizing on his stamina advantage, finally managed to put some distance between himself and Tatsuma. He unleashed a continuous barrage of shuriken and kunai from his nimble hands.

Struggling to block, Tatsuma deftly deflected the incoming ninja tools. On the sidelines, Hyuga Sento frowned as he observed the scene, recalling his recent defeat to Minato in a similar manner.

However, Tatsuma was not Hyuga Sento. He intimately understood Minato's throwing habits. Despite finding himself in a precarious situation due to exhaustion, Tatsuma exhibited remarkable agility, narrowly dodging several rounds of Minato's Ninja Tool Throwing attacks.

On the opposite end, Minato furrowed his brow. He hadn't anticipated Tatsuma to reveal such formidable skills when genuinely serious. Assessing the situation, he reached into his ninja tool pouch, mentally gauging the remaining arsenal.

"Two kunai, six shuriken, and eight senbon, right?"

With this inventory in mind, Minato swiftly retrieved all the shuriken and hurled them towards Tatsuma, followed by the senbons. Opting to withhold the last two kunai, he instead charged directly at Tatsuma.

Tatsuma honed his focus, deftly evading the onslaught of ninja tools. Yet, as he adeptly knocked down the shuriken and prepared to deflect the senbon, he suddenly realized that Minato's flying kick was rapidly closing in.