Chapter 122: Cunning Onoki

"Hokage-sama!"

Sakumo Hatake appeared in the Hokage's office without prior notice, but Sarutobi Hiruzen, seated in his chair, didn't mind. After all, Sakumo Hatake deserved this privilege and trust.

Inside the Hokage's office, smoke filled the air, and Sarutobi Hiruzen wore a troubled expression as he stood up and said, "The Land of Lightning has suddenly gathered more than three thousand ninjas at the port, and we don't know the reason. Meanwhile, Tsunade has sent out a distress signal from the Land of Rain. The covert support teams have already been mobilized and will likely engage in large-scale battles with the Rock Ninjas. It's likely that the Land of Rain has also become aware of the situation by now."

After listening to Sarutobi Hiruzen, Sakumo Hatake finally spoke up, "Hokage-sama, what do you need me to do?"

Sarutobi Hiruzen paced around the office for a while before saying, "I need you to lead a team to the northern border to investigate the reason behind the Land of Lightning's ninja mobilization. If they intend to join the battle, intercept them!"

The ninjas from the Hidden Cloud Village have a stubborn and impulsive temperament, but the Elders are not lacking in wisdom. Therefore, their actions may not necessarily be for joining the battle, but rather to manipulate the alliances of various countries and seize opportunities.

So it's best to avoid a war with them, to prevent giving them an excuse to start a war and avoid falling into their trap."

Sakumo Hatake nodded, then expressed his concern, "But the southeast defense line lacks personnel, and there's the Land of Water there."

"The Land of Water is situated overseas, and the internal factions have never had a Mizukage who could handle things properly. It's chaotic and impoverished, not much of a threat. Moreover, with the recent policy implementations, they're practically in a state of disarray.

In this situation, it's almost impossible for the Third Mizukage to join the war as a participant. Even if they manage to unify internal opinions, it's unlikely they'll participate in the war. If they do, my advisors and I are ready to take to the battlefield at any time."

As Sarutobi Hiruzen spoke, the worries on his face eased somewhat. Sitting in this office for so long, he occasionally forgot that he, too, was a ninja, one who could take to the battlefield at any moment.

At this moment, recalling himself as a ninja, Sarutobi Hiruzen's words were filled with confidence. As the Third Hokage, his strength might not surpass that of the First Hokage, Senju Hashirama, and perhaps his influence in governing the village, diplomacy, and warfare wasn't as significant as his sensei, the Second Hokage, Senju Tobirama.

But if it were just about the impact of a single battle, Sarutobi Hiruzen was confident that he surpassed his sensei, Senju Tobirama.

The strength of a ninja shouldn't be determined solely by a narrow perspective. Every ninja has their own strengths. Just like the Sharingan of the Uchiha and the Byakugan of the Hyuga clan, it's difficult to judge which is superior. Perhaps a Uchiha Jonin with a three-tomoe Sharingan would have the advantage in a battle against a Hyuga Jonin, but that doesn't mean the Byakugan is inferior to the Sharingan.

The Sharingan might influence a single battle, but the Byakugan could potentially influence an entire campaign. While multiple Uchiha ninjas with Sharingan could affect a battle, multiple Byakugan users could influence a war.

Sarutobi Hiruzen and Senju Tobirama are no exception. When it comes to combat, Sarutobi Hiruzen has no confidence in defeating his sensei, who is adept at various techniques.

But if it's about leading their respective armies into battle, Sarutobi Hiruzen is confident that he can do better than his sensei. After all, with his Five Release Great Combo, even his sensei wouldn't have a good countermeasure.