Chapter 69: Splitting The Gifts

"Minato, this short knife is for you, it's made of Chakra metal."

At night, Tsunade and Jiraiya, who were drunk and asleep, were supported by Tatsuma and Minato to rest on the side. The restaurant provided thoughtful blankets and pillows while Tatsuma and Minato were counting the gifts.

Although most people chose to give two identical gifts, there were also some with different gifts, such as Sakumo Hatake, who gave them a scroll and an old knife.

When Minato heard Tatsuma's words, he shook his head and said, "You should take this short knife. Sakumo-sama's other gift is a notebook on Lightning Attribute Chakra Nature Transformation, which is more suitable for me."

Upon hearing this, Tatsuma did not insist further. Although the Chakra knife looked more expensive than the notebook, when it came to gifts, being expensive doesn't necessarily mean it's better; suitability is more important.

Tatsuma didn't have Lightning Attribute Chakra, so the notebook wouldn't be of much use to him. Placing the Chakra knife behind him, he picked up another scroll and glanced at it, saying:

"This is a scroll on the composite Ninjutsu that Hokage-sama gave as a gift. My portion is about Earth and Fire. What about yours?" Minato also found the scroll presented by Sarutobi Hiruzen, looked at it, and said, "It seems to be Lightning and Fire."

Upon hearing this, a hint of regret appeared on both their faces. It was evident that the notes given by Sarutobi Hiruzen were only applicable to each of them, and they couldn't exchange and learn from each other.

In comparison, Orochimaru was more considerate. Both scrolls he gifted were notes on Ninjutsu Development, one about Wind attributes and the other about Fire attributes. They could exchange and learn from each other.

Apart from these individuals, Shinku Yuhi's gift was also impressive. One was a B-rank Genjutsu: Tree Binding Death Ninjutsu scroll, which not only contained the Genjutsu but also Shinku Yuhi's insights and notes.

While not as detailed as Jiraiya's Ninjutsu notes, it explained many important and challenging points.

The other scroll was about the advanced theory of Genjutsu Release! It covered everything from preventing Genjutsu, discovering Genjutsu after being caught, to releasing and countering Genjutsu. It was also a set of notes that could be exchanged and learned from.

In addition, the gifts from others were mostly symbolic and tokens of goodwill. They received a large number of scrolls containing sealed supplies such as throwing ninja tools, Explosive Tags, Military Rations Pills, smoke bombs, and more.

Especially from the Ino-Shika-Cho trio, they directly gave scrolls with sealed Ninjutsu, allowing for easy use by simply unfolding and infusing Chakra.

This was high-quality merchandise, and in the original work, only Nara Shikamaru, the successor, had used such items.

Tatsuma felt that for a considerable amount of time to come, he wouldn't need to worry about resources. In fact, if he shamelessly sold some of these items, he might even be able to live a comfortable life.

Of course, Tatsuma couldn't sell these gifts. Firstly, doing so would be equivalent to not giving face to the gift-givers, and secondly, Tatsuma didn't dare to have money, at least not liquid cash.

After all, his sensei was Tsunade. If Tsunade found out he had money, Tatsuma would undoubtedly have to choose to show filial piety to his sensei.

The two of them divided the spoils and gifts until midnight. The Shadow Clones also finished transcribing the exchangeable scrolls, then made notes on each person's gift, finally concluding the work.

Making notes on each person's gifts was for the purpose of reciprocation in the future. The two younger individuals naturally didn't have to make any contributions, but Tsunade and Jiraiya, who had received so many benefits by showing their faces, would have to return the favor in the future.

Especially since most of the visiting ninjas were young Jonin, many of whom were unmarried. When they eventually celebrated their weddings, they would need to reciprocate the gifts and the goodwill.

After collecting all the items, the two of them huddled in the private room and began to sleep. It was too late now, and they dared not take so many supplies to the streets.

In the early morning, Tatsuma, in a daze, felt someone calling him. Opening his eyes, he saw Kushina standing next to him and Minato. Tatsuma sat up and nudged Minato.

Minato also woke up and, upon seeing Kushina, was about to speak when Kushina preemptively said, "Grandma Mito asked you to take Tsunade and Jiraiya back. She also has gifts to give you."

After saying this, Kushina left with a disdainful expression. Tatsuma sniffed and noticed the room was filled with the lingering smell of smoke, alcohol, overnight barbecue fumes, and a slightly sour odor.

"Let's take Tsunade-sensei and Jiraiya-sensei back first," Tatsuma said. Minato nodded, got up, and carried Jiraiya on his back, while Tatsuma did the same with Tsunade. To be honest, it was not a pleasant experience at all, as the smell of alcohol made Tatsuma feel nauseous.

Leaving the barbecue area, they quickly arrived at the Senju Clan compound. Tatsuma carried Tsunade back to her room, and Minato took Jiraiya to the room Nawaki had prepared. Just as they were thinking of returning after freshening up, Nawaki said, "You don't need to go back now. I've prepared new clothes, toothbrushes, and such for you. You can freshen up here."

Upon hearing this, Tatsuma didn't refuse, nodded in agreement, and Minato, seeing the situation, didn't express any intention to decline either. Under Nawaki's guidance, they went to freshen up, changed into new clothes, and were then led to the hall where Mito was giving a lecture.

Mito looked at the two children wearing brand new clothes for the first time, her face beaming with a very kind smile. Tatsuma and Minato had been training at the Senju compound for six months, seeing her every day, but Mito had never seen them in new clothes before.

Tsunade and Jiraiya seemed not to have noticed this detail, but Mito did. Since the New Year was approaching, she decided to buy two sets of clothes suitable for them.

Seeing the well-fitted new clothes on the two, Mito nodded in satisfaction. Indeed, children should wear something fresh; the faded clothes they had been wearing before didn't look lively at all.

After withdrawing her gaze, Mito spoke, "I plan to teach you both Sealing Jutsu. One is the Five Elements Seal, and the other is its resolution, the Five Elements Resolution Seal. Do you know what the five basic Chakra elements are?"

Minato nodded and replied, "Wind, Lightning, Water, Fire, Earth."

Mito nodded. With a flip of her right hand, Chakra condensed above her five fingers. She continued, "However, in the Five Elements Seal, the five elements correspond not to the five basic Chakra attributes but to Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth. It is unrelated to Chakra nature; this is a purely Sealing Jutsu-induced Chakra transformation. This is also the difficulty you will face in learning these two techniques. In the coming period, I will focus on instructing you in these two jutsu."

Tatsuma and Minato nodded, expressing their gratitude, "Thank you, Mito-sama."

Mito began teaching the content of the Five Elements Seal and the Five Elements Resolution Seal. However, these two A-rank Sealing Jutsu couldn't be mastered in just one day. By noon, the two of them had only grasped the basic structure of the technique.

Mito, however, didn't continue and instead said, "Go wake up your sensei for lunch. In the afternoon, as a witness, I will witness your formal apprenticeship."

"Hmm?" Tatsuma was a bit puzzled. Wasn't the apprenticeship ceremony already held last night? Mito patiently explained, "Unlike ninja teams, taking on disciples is about continuing the true core legacy. In this aspect, you both have not yet completed the process."

----

Check out my Patreon for more advanced chapters up to 50 at patreon.com/HellGolt