Chapter 53: Gambling With Tsunade

"Why'd you even bother showing up if you're just gonna go on a mission?" Tsunade, still seething with impotent rage, busied herself tending to the injuries of the two individuals while voicing her bewilderment.

Tatsuma shrugged. "Beats me. Jiraiya-sensei didn't brief us on the details; he simply instructed us to rendezvous here first. I sure didn't anticipate it'd be to meet Lady Mito."

Tsunade's expression soured. Uzumaki Mito had long distanced herself from village affairs. Though Hiruzen occasionally sought her counsel, it was more out of respect than necessity. Typically, Uzumaki Mito brushed off such gestures, except during Hiruzen's early days in office. Since then, she hadn't offered any advice or opinions.

If there were ever a reason to seek Uzumaki Mito's counsel, it would likely revolve around only two matters: the Nine-Tails and perhaps the Uzumaki Clan incident from six months prior.

As Tsunade mulled over the situation, a vague suspicion crept into her thoughts. Following the annihilation of the Uzumaki Clan, the village hadn't remained passive. Besides diplomatic gestures, Konoha had covertly taken various measures, including handling the remnants of the Uzumaki Clan, probing into the Whirlpool Hidden Village, gathering intelligence, and managing the clan's remaining assets.

The trio had previously been tasked with investigative missions, and even Sakumo Hatake, who had initially served as the hokage's protector, had been dispatched for an extended period to undertake classified assignments.

However, the mission Jiraiya's taking the two youngsters on shouldn't be too perilous. Tsunade sighed, opting to wait until Jiraiya emerged to gain a clearer understanding.

Addressing the pair, she inquired, "Do either of you happen to have playing cards, dice, or something similar on hand?"

Minato appeared puzzled; as a ninja, why would he carry such items? Tatsuma also shook his head. He hadn't anticipated ending up here when he set out, so he hadn't brought any such items.

Motioning towards the door, Tsunade instructed, "Quickly go purchase some. If you're tardy and they conclude their discussion, there won't be any entertainment."

Minato acquiesced with a nod; he didn't question Tsunade's request, simply following her lead as an obedient youngster. Tatsuma, however, voiced his confusion, "Tsunade-sama, why don't you handle it yourself? Your speed surely exceeds ours, correct?"

Upon hearing this, a flicker of annoyance surfaced on Tsunade's features. She strode to the entrance, delivering a punch that conjured a reddish-orange barrier sealing the gate, preventing Tatsuma and the others from passing through as they had before.

Tatsuma remained silent thereafter. It became apparent that when Tsunade mentioned her confinement, it wasn't merely a figure of speech; she was indeed physically restricted, unable to leave.

"I'll go right away," Tatsuma affirmed.

Without delay, Tatsuma slipped away, and Minato, displaying his astuteness, kept a safe distance from Tsunade, aware of the potential for her explosive temper. He trailed after Tatsuma.

With a sense of purpose driving them, the two didn't dawdle as they had on their journey here. In less than half an hour, they procured playing cards and a dice cup and hastened back.

Upon their return, Tsunade had arranged several sturdy stone stools. Upon spotting the playing cards and dice cup, her eyes lit up with excitement, and any trace of earlier agitation vanished. Instead, she greeted the pair with a cheerful smile, inviting them to take a seat.

"Blackjack! Anyone familiar with the game? I'll deal!" Tsunade exclaimed eagerly.

As Tsunade swiftly shuffled the deck, she turned to the two for confirmation. Tatsuma nodded knowingly, while Minato appeared slightly perplexed. Tatsuma leaned in to whisper, "Just observe and pick it up."

However, as Tsunade began shuffling, Tatsuma suddenly recalled something and interjected, "Tsunade-sama, no chips?"

"Don't you boys have any currency?" Tsunade asked incredulously, deftly manipulating the cards with flourish.

Upon realizing Tsunade's inclination towards gambling, Tatsuma shook his head adamantly and proposed, "We can't gamble. How about wagering on push-ups or squats? Ten reps per round."

"Very well, that way, no one can accuse me of trying to take your money."

"Indeed, Tsunade-sama is considerate. However, I happen to be quite lucky when it comes to cards."

"Humph! Luck may favor you, but it can't surpass skill."

Tsunade asserted confidently before dealing cards to the trio. As Tsunade revealed her face-up card—a 6, her brow furrowed in response.

Tatsuma glanced at his two cards, discovering they were both Aces. He swiftly separated them and declared, "Split."

One bet multiplied into two, where victory meant doubling the stakes, but so did defeat. However, Minato remained perplexed, holding two cards with a puzzled expression. Tsunade then dealt cards to Tatsuma, both hands landing Kings.

Tatsuma promptly revealed his face-down cards, declaring, "Blackjack."

Witnessing Tatsuma's consecutive Blackjacks, Tsunade's expression soured. She turned to Minato and inquired, "Need another card?"

Minato, utterly unfamiliar with the game, examined his cards before placing them face up on the table, asking, "Does this count as Blackjack too?"

Minato's cards revealed an Ace and a King. With only four Aces and four Kings in a deck, they had already drawn three of each.

Tsunade glanced at her face-up card, a four, and tossed her cards onto the table, declaring, "Consider yourselves fortunate this time!"

"Ding~ [Strength+2], [Spirit+2]; Special Talent Unlocked: [Card Luck (Exclusive to Tsunade) +100%]."

Upon hearing the system announcement, Tatsuma smirked faintly, contemplating, "Stick with standard talents, skip the Specials."

After acquiring the talents, Tatsuma glanced up to find Tsunade already completing thirty push-ups with remarkable speed, reluctantly gathering the scattered cards and announcing, "Next round!"

"Indeed, Tsunade-sama, resolute as ever. Let's hope my card luck holds out a bit longer."

"Blackjack."

"Ding~ [Stamina+2], [Spirit+2]; Special Talent Unlocked: [Card Luck (Exclusive to Tsunade) +100%]."

As the Special Talent reappeared, Tatsuma's heart raced, and he mentally urged himself, "Stick with the regular talents, pass on the Specials!"

"Next round!"

"Indeed, persistence pays off."

"Ding~"

"Next round!"

"Indeed, steadfast despite countless hurdles."

"Indeed, unwavering amidst relentless challenges."

As nearly an hour elapsed, despite starting with a fresh deck, some cards began showing signs of wear. Tatsuma felt parched, his vocabulary nearly depleted.

At this juncture, Tsunade's expression was darker than a pot. From her initial confidence to the nonsensical banter, she now lapsed into silence.

"Blackjack. My apologies, it appears my card luck is a tad superior," Tatsuma remarked, earning another victory.

At last, Tatsuma scored another Blackjack, driving Tsunade to her breaking point. She slammed her hand onto the stone table, shattering it instantly. Rising to her feet, she seethed, "Are you two cheating?!"

Minato cast an innocent glance at Tatsuma. Tatsuma, uncertain whether cheating had occurred, noted that Minato hadn't even grasped the game, let alone the means to cheat.

Before Tatsuma could respond, a voice, firm yet compassionate, intervened. "Enough! Tsunade, must you be unreasonable with these youngsters?"

----

Check out my Patreon for more advanced chapters up to 50 at patreon.com/HellGolt