Chapter 67: Jiraiya's Choice

"I'll be straight with you. Tatsuma and Minato are both brought up by you. You choose one first."

A few days later, Jiraiya returned from a mission and was invited by Tsunade. Upon hearing Tsunade's question, Jiraiya fell into contemplation. After a while, he spoke, "I'll take Tatsuma. Minato is easier to handle and more suitable for you, what do you think?"

"I don't want you to do what's best for me. Choose whoever you truly want to take as your disciple," Tsunade looked at Jiraiya with dissatisfaction, commenting on his apparent reluctance and presumptuous sacrifice. Jiraiya's words made it sound like she was certainly not fit to be a sensei.

Upon hearing this, Jiraiya looked at Tsunade with some suspicion, wondering if Tsunade had set a trap for him to fall into. However, seeing Tsunade's serious expression, Jiraiya couldn't help but start contemplating. Both Tatsuma and Minato were very intelligent, and regardless of what they learned, they picked it up very quickly.

However, if one must say who truly suits being his disciple, Jiraiya's inner answer is not the "like-minded" Tatsuma but Minato.

Because between a sensei and a disciple, they should complement each other. Tatsuma is too much like him. If he were to mentor Tatsuma, it might result in bringing out another Jiraiya.

Jiraiya believes that even if he doesn't mentor Tatsuma, with Tatsuma's talent and temperament, he can reach a level not inferior to his..

But if Tsunade mentors Tatsuma, perhaps she could change the flaws in Tatsuma that resemble Jiraiya's. Maybe this Tatsuma, even if not surpassing Jiraiya, could receive the necessary guidance to further grow.

And Minato is actually the same. Minato is too soft-tempered. If he meets Tsunade, Minato will only gradually lose the sharpness that a ninja should have if he doesn't get corrected at all times.

If Tatsuma needs to polish off all his thorns, then Minato needs to transform from a water-smoothed pebble back into a sharp, cutting stone. The risk is that both might fracture during the process of this reconstruction.

But if a sensei doesn't aim to cultivate disciples who surpass themselves, then what is the purpose of taking on students?

With the answer in his heart, Jiraiya looked at Tsunade again and said, "Minato Namikaze, I'll take him. I will Sakamoto Tatsuma to you, Tsunade. Make sure not to waste his talent."

Seeing Jiraiya finally state his decision, Tsunade nodded and said, "That's settled then. Go talk to those two kids and make it official. Orochimaru has already informed me about the matters outside the village, so there's no need to drag this out any longer."

Jiraiya nodded and then added, "I just returned from sensei's place, and there's some confirmed news. Sakumo-senpai's mission is set to happen, possibly right after the new year."

"I understand. I can depart at any time."

Tsunade stood up, waved her hand, and left. Jiraiya remained seated, sipping on the sake Tsunade had just bought.

The next day, on the way to the Senju clan's territory, Tatsuma and Minato encountered each other. Tatsuma looked at Minato's somewhat hesitant expression and said, "Jiraiya-sensei talked to you too, right?"

Minato nodded and said, "Yeah, but I didn't expect that we'd be disbanded after being in the same team for less than a year."

Hearing Minato's melancholic words, Tatsuma smiled, patting his shoulder, and said, "We'll always be comrades, just not in the same squad anymore. Or are you going to abandon your old teammate now that you've hitched a ride with Jiraiya-sensei?"