32. Why did you run?

"Kaylee??'" Danielle sighed, using her knuckles to lightly tap on the door "Are you gonna open up or what?"

The tap water started running so the auburn assumed she wouldn't be getting an answer from the brunette. She gave up trying soon enough and headed for her bed, the images from the limousine still fresh in her mind. Was Kaylee withdrawing? Did she regret it already? And what was the reason?

By the time Kaylee had finished with her shower and came out Danielle had fallen asleep. All more the better, she thought as she dried off her hair and went to sleep as classes awaited both of them the next day.

The next morning, the brunette was prompt with dressing up and leaving the room before she had an unnecessary encounter with her roommate. Danielle was slightly disappointed when she faced the empty bed across from her and sighed once more. Kaylee was definitely avoiding her. Yesterday felt like a win, but at the same time it didn't.

At the cafeteria, during lunch hour the small group of friends were gathered and having friendly banter that's when Bianca announced her birthday plans but it looked like Danielle wasn't paying much attention. Instead she was scanning the hall for a specific brunette.

"My parents are leaving the house to me this weekend, just the perfect timing for my birthday. Get ready for a wild Saturday!'

"Are you also inviting that brunette?" Payton commented discreetly.

"What brunette?"

"Danielle's roommate."

"Uh, sorry dude she's taken."

Danielle rolled her eyes at the conversation. She had definitely noticed the way Peyton looked at Kaylee last time they hung out in their room back when she had a fling with Leo.

"Already?! Damn.."

"I'm sure Dani will drag her ass along."

"If only..she doesn't even speak to me apparently."

"Since when?" Bianca asked curiously, it looked like she had missed some episodes.

"Since last night."

"What happend?" The boy asks in confusion.

"Just...just a misunderstanding. Nothing much really.."

"Well, you tend to push people away so I'm not surprised."

Leo suddenly comments and finds both Danielle and Bianca glaring at him for his provoking comment, getting the cue to shut up.

"Anyway that's not the point. Back to my birthday. Bring at least one bottle of booze each, and tell everyone you know. I wanna have a big one this year."

"I gotta go, but..I'll definitely help with planning later. I promise." Danielle got off her seat leaving her friend group  She decided to look for Kaylee elsewhere.

Outside the weather was good, so several students were enjoying the sunshine and having their lunch on the grass. Her roommate seemed to be one of them, as she was gracefully laying on a blanket, having lunch by herself. She was munching on a grape when Danielle decided to join her and offer coffee that she got for the both of them. Smiling at her she handed the hot beverage.

"Uh- I don't drink coffee this late in the day.." Kaylee took the coffee and set it down.

"It stimulates brain activity. Aren't you a dork or something? It doesn't make sense to turn it down."

"Seriously?!"

Danielle snickered and sipped her own coffee while looking at her roommate pout her lips.

"Oh, calm down and be a good sport for me."

"I was hoping I could have lunch in peace but there you are."

"Am I bothering you, Bryant?"

"You kind of are.." Kaylee turned to her side with her back facing Danielle, and opened a book that she had been reading and pretended that she was occupied hoping that would turn Danielle away.

"What are you reading there?" Danielle hovered over the girl's shoulder, trying to have a peek curiously.

"Shakespeare."

"So, you're like the romantic type now?" Danielle reached a hand out over Kaylee and stole one of the grapes, putting it in her mouth.

Kaylee tried to swat her roommate's hand away but it was too late "Those are mine!" She grumbled under her breath. "And why does it matter what genre I like?"

"It matters to me." Danielle says in a low voice watching how the brunette was tense. "Look, you can't ignore me forever."

"I'm talking to you so.."

"You're not even looking at me."

Kaylee sighed loud enough to be heard clearly. She turned her body slightly and placed her book down. She was now facing the auburn, her blue eyes were sparkling bright when the sunlight hit them, making the colour unique in its own way, and she looked mesmerising as usual.

"What did you want to talk about?"

"Last night."

"What about last night?"

"Kaylee, I can't stop thinking about it."

Danielle admitted with a lick of her lips.

"It was just a good time..nothing more."

"It was more than just a good time." Danielle sounded slightly offended. "I opened up to you, Kaylee. And you confessed that..."

"I was drunk. I talk nonsense when I'm drunk. Stop overthinking it." The brunette said bluntly.

"Bullshit. You seduced me and basically initiated the whole thing.."

"You kissed me first."

"Yeah, and I would do it again in a heartbeat." Danielle groaned.

"There's not going to be a next time."

Kaylee turned her back again and grabbed her book, her heart almost ready to jump out of her chest and she needed to find a way to regulate it.

Danielle wasn't responding so she assumed she got the point, but she was soon proven wrong. The auburn leaned down to her ear, at the same time placing a hand over her hip slightly pulling her body towards her own. "There's nothing stopping me from doing it right now."

"D-Danielle.." Kaylee trembled, goosebumps feeling her whole body at the whispering. "We are in public, can you not??"

"That's right, you're my little secret after all. Better keep it that way.." Danielle slid her hand over Kaylee's stomach and reached for her grapes again stealing another one.

Kaylee blushed sweetly. "You're so annoying." The brunette retrieved another piece of fruit and turned around, fully facing the other girl. "And hungry, apparently."

"Maybe my appetite grows when I'm around you." Danielle smiles sweetly as she came to face the brunette, who looked flushed.

"I wonder why." Kaylee led her hand over Danielle's mouth holding the fruit "open up..?"

Danielle accepted the caring action and took the grape into her mouth "mhmm.."

"Sweet, isn't it?" Kaylee smiled in content.

"You know, you don't have to run after we..."  the auburn trailed off not wanting to scare off the brunette again with last night's topic.

"I wasn't running. I was just... overwhelmed..and confused."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"I guess we could. But not here. Tonight. In our room."