56. Prove me wrong.

After having breakfast, the girls gazed through the window at the ocean and chatted about their lifes for several hours until it was mid afternoon and the sun was barely starting to set, Danielle had to rush with setting things up as their day was coming to an end.

"Look, I need to go and set up the suprise. Do you mind waiting here for me? It might take a while but I promise it's worth it."

"It's fine, I've brought my laptop I can study while you're setting everything up."

"We might even get to catch the sunset if we are lucky."

"You're turning romantic on me, Russell?" Kaylee smiles casually, the idea of watching the sunset seemed cute.

"Maybe. Just for you, though. Make a record of it."

Danielle picks up her keys, leaves some money on the table and then proceeds outside. She had to drive to the nearest shops to buy dinner for them and also some flowers for Kaylee along with the set up she already had in the back of her car. She tucked the seats down and created a space where they could lay down, filled with blankets and a pile of pillows making it as comfortable as possible for an overnight stay. She also strung up little fairy lights to light up the space when it got dark. She rang Kaylee after a while, and once everything was set and told her to walk to the parking lot where they had left the car.

The brunette packed her laptop, had one last sip of her smoothie and walked back to the parking lot unexpected of the suprise awaiting her. Once she saw the truck door open, she walked around to meet Danielle who was waiting anxiously with a bouquet of flowers in her hands.

 Once she saw the truck door open, she walked around to meet Danielle who was waiting anxiously with a bouquet of flowers in her hands

"This...you made all this for me? Wow.
That's.. beautiful." Kaylee felt overwhelmed with the suprise, but then again she loved everything about it.

"For us. We can spend the night here. Kaylee, I wanna show you I'm nothing like I was last night." Kaylee took a step forward, closer to the other woman, and snaked her arms around her waist pulling her for an embrace to thank her.

"I wanna stay here. I've never slept next to the ocean like this, it's unexpected but I like it."

Danielle relaxed when she felt the presence of the other girl in her arms, and wrapped her own around her body holding on to her as if she had missed this. This genuine connection between them. She also felt a sense of relief that Kaylee went along with her plan.

"I'm really glad. Plus, I got pizza. Which is getting cold, so we should probably get to it at some point."

"Oh- you've literally thought of everything." Kaylee pulls back and takes another look at the set up, the car was facing the ocean so that meant they would be sleeping while listening to the sound of the waves which was ideal and romantic.

She brushes a strand of hair behind her ear shyly as thoughts start popping in her mind, but she ignores them for the moment and she proceeds inside the back of the car, making herself comfortable on the soft bedding feeling like this was something unreal. Danielle does the same, and brings the box of pizza on her lap, opening it up and letting the smell of the food fill up their noses. Kaylee takes a slice and a small bite out of it, as she stares at the ocean it was starting to get slightly dark outside allowing for a beautiful glimpse of the sunset.

"You know..it's been quite a while I've had something like..this.." Danielle admits with an outmost sincere tone.

"Something like this? What do you mean?" Kaylee looks at the auburn with a mouthful.

"I mean..being in love with someone. Being committed to them. Taking things slow. I'm not the best at that, and my circle hasn't been helping either."

"Your circle? Why?"

"Well, you know how everyone gets in college. They just want to sleep with as many people as they can, try anything that gets the adrenaline going. And my best friend has been pushing me into that direction a lot lately."

"Bianca, I knew it." Kaylee finishes her bite, and sets the rest of the food down. She seemed like she was deep in thought, trying to justify Danielle's behaviour lately and now she was shining light on what had made her act the way shw did.

"So, all the drinking..and partying and sleeping around. It's not really you, is it?"

"It used to be. Until I met you. You make me care about things I wouldn't otherwise. You made me open up about my past, and get me to admit how much it has actually affected me. All this was an escape, but now I'm not trying to run anymore."

Kaylee fumbles on the sheets for Danielle's hand again, giving it a reassuring squeeze and their gazes meet.

"You're taking steps towards a healthier version of you. And this doesn't have to do with me, I might be what caused you to change but I shouldn't be the main reason why."

"I get it. But I still owe a big part of it to you, at first I  was afraid to be committed to someone, because of losing my parents. But now, I wanna stop running. I finally wanna feel it all."

"I wanna feel it too." The brunette takes the box of food out of the girl's lap to create space, and climbs on her instead. She used her hands to gently cup her face, and look deeply into her eyes. Danielle didn't mind she wasn't staring at the sunset anymore, with those beautiful brown eyes seeing into her soul.

"You're willing to give us a chance then?"

"I'd be such a fool not to." Danielle smiles wholeheartedly as she holds Kaylee from her waistline, pulling her close.

"Can I let you in on a little secret?"

"Of course, babe."

"I was never in love with Lulu. I think I was merely trying to distract myself from the fact that I was so attracted to you but thought you could never be within my reach seeing we were so different and almost hated each other at the start."

"I never hated you, Kaylee. And I never thought less of you no matter our differences, I always kinda admired you from a far. I was just too damn stubborn to admit it."

"Well, it's not too late you know.." the brunette smiles teasingly.

"Okay.." Danielle giggles softly, feeling like a child about to confess a deep held secret even though they both knew her feelings had become clear. "I'm in love with you, Kaylee Bryant. Be my girlfriend?"

"Gladly." Kaylee smiles in pure bliss, and brings the girl closer giving her a very rewarding and caring kiss on the lips. Danielle feels her heart at ease upon confessing, finally she had found her person, someone whom she could trust fully, and someone who was making her feel like her past wasn't scaring her as much anymore.

And she wanted to make Kaylee hers one more time, but this time she wanted it to be different. She wanted Kaylee to set the pace to what she was comfortable with, she wanted to show her that this new version of her cared in every sense. She wanted this to be unforgettable for both of them.