54. After we fell.

The girls returned to the dorm, a few hours passed midnight and they were both in a terrible state from all the alcohol consumption. Kaylee started undressing herself while Danielle threw herself on her bed with the same clothes and make up she was wearing out of habit. That night they didn't even exchange good nights, and the aftermath was about to be even worse.

In the morning, Danielle found herself struggling to get out of bed, luckily it was a Sunday which meant no classes but still she had to make use of her day so she had to get out of bed at some point. She headed to the bathroom, to freshen up, but the bathroom was occupied by her roommate. She didn't hesitate to go in, while Kaylee was in the middle of a shower.

"Uh– have you ever heard of privacy?" The brunette calls out somewhat annoyed, feeling like Danielle was invading her space.

"Come on, Kaylee..it's not like we are strangers. And you've been here like what? An hour or so already, I need to use the bathroom."

"That doesn't mean you can barge in whenever you feel like it. So, please. Leave."

"This is a shared bathroom. I will stay."

Kaylee turned the shower off, and crossed her arms, in reality she simply didn't want to face her roommate so this was much more than just a personal privacy issue and they both sensed that.

"Leave, or else I will."

"Seriously?!"

Danielle looked at the brunette, she was drenched and looked hot but she couldn't be thinking about that right now. She realized Kaylee was being serious just by her facial expression, and she didn't want a bad start to their morning so she decided to back off and exit the bathroom.

"I'll give you ten. Then it's my turn."

"Fine, whatever you say."

The auburn was a little put off with the exchange between her and the other girl, last night they were having sex and being all over each other and now..this. This seemed like they were taking a million steps back. Danielle sat on her bed, like a scolded puppy, waiting for the brunette for what seemes like ages. Suddenly her phone rang.

/On the phone/

"Heeey, sunshine!! Was hoping you'd be awake so I could catch up with you. I've missed you like crazy."

"Hey auntie. Yeah, yeah I'm awake although I had a late night. I'm doing better with..keeping myself accountable and keeping a schedule."

"How's college going?"

"It's going well, I've been on a trip with my art group. That was exciting. The rest is just..meh.. right now."

"The art community sounds lovely. But remember, you're not there to study art sweetheart. Why is the rest of college not up to your liking?"

"Yeah, thanks for reminding me of my fucked up choices. It's just..my life feels chaotic right now, my roommate is like a fucking riddle. One day we are getting on just fine, the next we fight."

"Getting on? Because last time I checked in with you, you admitted you were giving the girl a hard time."

"No, seriously we are fine. We, um...we actually have something going on."

"So, a friend with benefits type of situation?"

"No, she actually has feelings for me. At least that's what she said, yesterday. But she is acting nothing like it now after what happened.."

"Oh no, what happened exactly?"

"I don't really know. We had our first time, and then she started acting cold..she started avoiding me. It's not supposed to be like this, is it?"

"Did you talk to her about it?"

"No she's been avoiding me all morning."

"Look, take time to hear her out. She's probably stressing over something you have no control over. Comfort her. Ask her if maybe something you did wasn't to her liking."

"She seemed to be enjoying everything I was doing, I can tell you as much."

"Sometimes we'd do anything in order not to lose someone. Or impress them."

"So she was trying to please me because she was afraid she might lose me?"

"Ask yourself. Was there consent from both sides? Was the environment safe and decent? Did you rush into things?"

"Of course there was consent, she's been going on and on of how much she wanted it. And now..it's like it wasn't enough. We did rush it- a little bit...but..I couldn't control it at the moment. We were both drunk also..."

"Look, it sounds like it wasn't the ideal situation. Maybe she had planned this differently in her head. Maybe you should have, too. First times are supposed to be special. Not rushed, in the back of some type of kiddy club."

"My friend said I'm just wasting time waiting for the right moment to happen."

"Your friend is reckless, and you are too for listening to her."

"So should I apologize then?"

"That's the least of it. Apologising won't get you her trust back, but your actions will. And time, of course. Give it time."

"Okay– sorry aunt, she's coming out of the bathroom.."

"Okay, kiddo I'll catch you another time. And please, look out for the girl. You know better than doing what your friends tell you to."

"Okay, bye now! Love you!"

/End of phone call/

"The bathroom is all yours now, snappy."

Kaylee came out, the towel still hanging off her body which Danielle couldn't help but stare, catching herself feeling guilty if that was the case her aunt was talking about.

"Hey, if anyone's in a mood today that's you. Are you sure you are all done? I mean you don't need an extra hour in there or something?" The auburn teases, but she couldn't get a smile out of the brunette.

"Ugh, will you just.."

"Hey.." Danielle moves towards the other girl, and takes a gentle hold of her hands, trying to lead her to her bed. "I'm just kidding, you know I like messing with you."

"Yeah, and I'm not in the mood for any of it." Kaylee pulls away slowly and starts looking for the outfit she was going to change into, turning her back to the other girl.

"Why?" Danielle just stands there, already missing the physical contact with her. "Wanna talk?"

"There's nothing to talk about.. I'm just hangover, when I didn't want to be. And I'm annoyed because you barged in..and...." Kaylee stops herself before she goes into an excessive ramble, she exhales as if there was a burden in her chest that was weighing her down. Her voice cracked mildly, and the words seemed to be stuck in her throat and not coming out at all.

"Look, take your time with it. Whatever it is, I wanna hear it okay? How about we do that breakfast we were talking about to help with your hangover and talk? No pressure, just real genuine conversation. Please."  Danielle smiled reassuringly in hopes that would get the brunette to trust her enough to open up.

"Okay- that...that sounds nice.."

"I'll meet you once I freshen up. Let's go somewhere nice, away from here."