CH-62

Shinsha POV

"That's a good idea. But the problem thay we are outnumbered still stands. Without using the walls of the the city completely, we would be at a disadvantage. But with a thousand soldiers, we can't even completely stand guard across the walls. And if we let them into the city, we would be forced to fight a melee, but with our low numbers, we have little to no chance of winning." I point out.

"Eto... About that... The Western part of the city can be quickly barricaded. I am not sure if you noticed, but there is a fixed perimeter across the Western part of the city." Sofia said.

"Yes. I saw that. There is one wide road going so the way across."

"Yes. Actually that used to be the outer wall of the city long ago. But as the city continued to grow, the wall was taken down. But, the height advantage is still there. If we use the small and tight alleyways of the city just right, we won't even have to fight majority of them."

"That's true. But if they know that they outnumber us nearly six to one, I doubt they would lose morale that easily."

"About that! Why not use scarecrows?" It was Max who suggested this.

"I see. That's a good idea as well. In the dark, they will not be able to distinguish between them that well. If we put in a few people to make noise and create chaos, they will surely think we have a lot of soldiers." Sofia also presented her thoughts.

"Princess. Are you sure it is fine to let them continue like this? There are many other ways to defeat them. We might not be able to defend the entire city, but if march out right now, we can surely catch them off guard. There is no need for us to wait for them to attack us." Liscia whispered to me.

"I understand what you want to say. But I believe it's better to let them take the initiative now. Especially Hikari. Since, once the reinforcements arrive, we will have little to no chance to co-ordinate. I will be focusing completely on offence and taking over a considerable amount of territory. So, it will be a good deal to see how she will react to invaders, and how much we can trust in those two as well." I reply to her. Hearing my reply, Liscia just sighed.

In reality, staying cooped in a city with such a small army is an idiotic move, but we do need a base. It's better if one side of it is an ocean as it will give Hikari an advantage. So, this city is definitely the best choice.

3rd Person POV

After a long deliberate meeting, the plan of action was finally decided, and things were set up quickly. Only a hundred soldiers were standing guard atop the large outer wall. But nearly two thousand scarecrows were set up, which in the darkness of the night looked like real humans. Both Liscia and Shinsha had further put illusion magic on them, so it wouldn't be that easy to see through it.

Once the six thousand soldiers approached the walls, they set up camp about a kilometre away, gauging the strength of their opponents. As they had hid in the forest, they lacked in heavy siege weaponry. But that wasn't a problem since they had a person with unique skill «Strength» which, just like it's name, gave a massive strength boost to the user.

The man took the lead and charged straight at the large gate. The soldiers behind him were met by bombardment of magic, yet the magic never hit the man leading the charge. It was as if they were intentionally leaving him be, not that the man was complaining. As soon as he bashed into the gate, the wood creaked and gave way, causing the door to break. This increased the morale of the soldiers as they quickly tried to enter the city.

Regardless of wide the city gates were, only a few soldiers could enter at the same time. This made them prime targets for magic attacks. Large scale attacks were constantly targeted at the gate. After nearly a thousand soldiers had died, the gate itself had suffered enormous damage from large scale magic attacks and crumbled.

As the walls crumbled, the soldiers started to pour in like insects. They were afraid of the magic attacks, yet they believed that some of them would surely be able to enter if they enter by spreading out.

They had prepared themselves to face large magic attacks, but nothing came. It was deathly silent, as if everything before was a facade. If the corpses lying on the ground were to disappear, nobody could even tell that this was a war zone.

On the other hand, hundred of the most skilled magicians under Shinsha were deployed on the inner walls, from where they were continuously blasting magic. After the wall had crumbled, they decided to retreat. They could have continued, but they didn't want to exhaust themselves completely and be prepared, in case of an emergency.

The soldiers of the Empire were confused to see that there were no enemy soldiers in sight. They cautiously navigated the narrow streets in small groups. Unbeknownst to them, their groups were often target of assassination. After walking the entire day, their senses had dulled, combined with the fact that it was difficult to see in the dark and narrow streets, they were easy prey for not only assassins, but also for traps that had been set earlier that day.

From pitfalls to bear traps and spear traps, all these increased the kill count to will over 3000. It took the Empire's soldiers an entire night to navigate through the eastern district and make it to the wide road bordering the Eastern district.

Shinsha's POV

As I was overlooking the battle, it was overwhelmingly in our favour. It was going so well, that I started having second thoughts about everything. Out of the six thousand soldiers, only three thousand are still alive. They have lost more than half of their soldiers, yet they are still attacking without hesitation.

It's as if they are machines. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all under some sort of mind control, because it seems like they can't feel fear. Even now, when they are facing the soldiers under my control, they are fighting completely oblivious to their own men who fall.

Each man under me is highly competent. Leave one to three, they would have won even if we were outnumbered one to three, so it isn't a surprise that it seems this will end quickly, and that is exactly what happened.

Within an hour of sunrise, we had killed all the soldiers and captured the few remaining soldiers who had different outfits from the others, so they might be done high ranking officials.

As for casualties, no one died, but nearly 200 were fatally injured and nearly everyone had light bruises. But, considering the disadvantageous situation, it isn't the worst.

————————

I hope you guys like it.