10 - MELISSA

Melissa

I listen with my ear to my door as Jason and my brother play the game and talk shit.

"Hey, is Mel dating?"

I cover my mouth with my hand and smile as soon as Jason asks my brother, Charles, about me.

"Naw, man. You know Melissa. Hell, you're the closest thing she has to a boyfriend."

"I know . . ."

And that is the end of their conversation about me. They go on to talking about some movie that is coming out soon. I lean against my bedroom door wondering why Jason is asking questions, concerning my nonexistent dating life.

*****

"Mel, I think that you're moving too fast. I think that you need to sit your ass down and think about your actions. You're steady making decisions without thinking about them. What is the hurry, baby?" My mom asks with hurt all in her face and voice.

I don't say anything as I tape my box close. After Cameron and I got done talking earlier today, we agreed that I should move in with him right away. He wants to be able to take care of me better. I know that I'm moving so fast, and I totally agree with everything that my mom is saying. I understand how she feels, but I just don't want to be in this house anymore. Cameron made some valid points about me being closer to him, because he stays out south.

"Baby, you still need to heal from the hurt and pain that you feel from your marriage not working."

I look up from the box, narrowing my eyes at her. She should know better than to bring him up. Not a second go by that I don't think about him. I miss him like crazy. I'm trying to move on and heal . . . Doesn't she see that?

"Don't look at me like that, young lady. You're moving entirely too fast. I don't know anything about Cameron."

I stand up, rolling my eyes at her comment. Hell, I don't know too much about Cameron, but I guess I will learn a lot about him. "Momma, he could be my baby's father. I'm not talking about this anymore. I'm going."

She stands in my door way, shaking her head. "Mel, I think you need time, before you decide to go jump into something new. Maybe you and Jason can work through this."

"How?" I scream at her. "He told me that he didn't want me in his life! He told me that we shouldn't talk again, until the baby is born!" Tears fall from my eyes. "Damn it, mom! I'm doing what I think I got to do for me and my child. Cameron loves me and he wants to be here for me. I'm going to let him! Leave me the fuck alone!" I lash out at her.

I'm mentally fucked up in the head. It's hard for me to keep it together. Most will probably say that it's the baby that has me acting all emotional, but it's not. It's the one person that always bring out these emotions. Jason. He is all the way in Atlanta and he still has me crying and cursing out my momma over his ass.

I wipe my tears and finally look at my mom. She has tears in her eyes as she watches me. I grab another box, angrily. I begin to put items in the box, refusing to make eye contact with my mother.

"I don't want to talk about this again. I'm leaving."

"What time is he coming to get you?"

I shrug my shoulders. He didn't give me a time. Hell, for all I know is that I might have to drive my shit over to his house. I've only been to his house a couple times, so I hope that I can get there okay. I wipe my tears from my cheeks and just sit on the edge of the bed. My mom rushes up to me and moves the box from in front of me. She gets on her knees and put her arms around me. This is like the millionth time that I cried in my momma's arms like a baby. I have never experienced so much hurt and pain in my life that I feel right now.