39 - MELISSA

Melissa

"Because you know how he is with you. Over protective ass. Tell your boy, he's your man and not your daddy."

I smile as she dances seductively. I glance at Jason and see that he's still dancing with the same girl. His hands are on her hips and they are face to face. She's all smiles as she puts her arms around him.

Kerri nudges me, "Or is that your man?"

"It's okay, Kerri." I take a sip of what's in the red cup, studying Jason. I hope he knows a wink doesn't mean bed her ass! I taste the alcohol right away and take another sip. The drink does taste good. I drink everything in the red cup and keep my eyes on Jason and his new friend. Why does he have to be such a ladies man? I look at the girl as she rolls her hips and dances with him in such a seductive manner. Jason doesn't make things any better as he moves the way she is moving.

*****

I walk into my front door to find Cameron sitting on the living room couch with his head hung low, staring at his phone as though it's going to perform a trick. The moment that I walk inside the house, he looks up.

Originally, I was going to just go home, but then I realize that I had to talk to Cameron. We haven't talked to each other, since Jason got shot on Saturday at one in the morning. Just looking at Cameron, and knowing that his cousin is the one that did it . . . Is enough to make me want to stab him.

Neither of us say anything as we just stare at each other. I finally look away from him. This is way too painful to do. I know that Cameron didn't do anything . . . At least that's what Jasmine had said, but it still hurts. I somehow figured he could have prevented the whole thing.

I slide down the door to sit on the floor and just look at him. As much as I don't want to do this talk, we will have to do it. The facts are that I might be carrying his baby, so I might have to deal with him for the rest of my life.

"How is he?" His voice is quiet, as though he's afraid to talk to me.

"He's in a coma." I pull my knees up to my body and bite my bottom lip to keep from crying.

"I didn't do it. I swear that I wouldn't have done anything to him. I just wanted to talk with him about disrespecting you."

"Who asked you to do that? I didn't. And if it was just a talk, why did you feel the need to call your family?"

Cameron buries his face in his hands. He looks back at me with tears in his eyes. I have never saw this man cry before. I stare at him in complete awe that he is shedding tears.

"Look, I spoke to Jasmine and she told me everything that you said to her about faking with me and . . ." He shakes his head.

"Why did you call your family?"

I'm not going to talk about Jasmine and what we talked about. She could never keep her mouth closed. I already knew this, because if she did know how to keep her mouth closed, me and Jason would be in Atlanta together. I wouldn't have his random, trying to put me in check.

"I knew that his family and a lot of people he knew were at the beach. I wasn't going to ride solo. I didn't know what he was capable of doing."

"He wasn't capable of doing shit!" I scream at Cameron, defending Jason. "He would have just fought your ass with his hands. He doesn't own a fucking gun!" I put my face between my legs, resting my forehead on my knees. Thinking about everything frustrates me so much.

"So you hate me now?" He asks, weakly. "Is that why you came here? You want to pack your shit and leave me?"

I lift my face up with hot tears, running down my cheeks. He doesn't get it at all. My husband and best friend is sitting in the hospital, fighting for his life and all Cameron can think about is our relationship. This is not the shit that I want to hear. I want him to be supportive and tell me that he already went to the police. I want him to hold me and be there with me to visit Jason. I want him to do something other than care about us. Fuck an us.