40 - MELISSA

Melissa

I grab his shirt and stand on my toes as I try to give him a quick kiss. He parts my lips with his tongue, and I try to push him away giggling. I'm not used to tongue kissing him in public, but his grip gets tighter around me. I try to turn my head laughing and feeling embarrassed.

Jason laughs at me and puts his ball down. "Kiss me, girl." I laugh at his deep voice and shake my head as he grabs me, before I can get away.

"Oh, geez, Melissa, kiss him. You guys are taking forever to play one game. Seriously." Kerri crosses her arms and shakes her head.

Jason runs his fingers across my back as he holds me, waiting for me to kiss him. I giggle and try to move his hand, but he pulls me closer. I close my eyes as he brings his lips closer to mine. I open my mouth slightly and invite his tongue in. His hands travel up my body, and I smile as he breaks the kiss and looks in my eyes. "Melly baby, you drive me absoloutely crazy."

*****

I lay in the bed with Cameron, wrapped in his arms. Cameron is snoring quietly next to me. It's a little after two in the morning, and I've been trying to go to sleep for the pass couple hours. I trace my name across his chest, with my mind on Jason. I feel like shit every single time that I have to leave the hospital. I really don't know how to talk to Cameron about how I feel. He already doesn't understand why I'm there so often. he doesn't complain much, but he doesn't get it.

My phone rings, breaking me out of my thoughts. I grab my phone to see that it's Kerri calling me. Panic rushes through my entire body at the sight of her name, because I know that she's there with Jason. And I know earlier she had said that Terrance wanted revenge for Jason's situation.

I sit all the way up in the bed, answering the phone. "Hello?"

"He opened his eyes, Mel! I can't stay on the phone long, because I have to call his parents, but I wanted you to be the first person to know this."

"What?" Tears of joy quickly fill my eyes. "Are you serious?"

"Yes!" Kerri screams, loudly. This is the most volume I have heard in her voice, since Jason's been in the hospital. "Say what's up, Jas!'

I hold the phone closely to my ear, waiting to hear his voice. "Hey." His voice sounds so weak, but it's definitely him.

"Hey." I say, quietly. "I - - -" Before I can finish my sentence, Kerri ends the call.

I sit for a moment, crying tears of happiness. "He said hey." I whisper to myself.

I grab the paper and pen that's on the nightstand and write a quick note for Cameron.

Cam, Jason opened his eyes, so I went back there. I will be home asap. I love you. Please don't get jealous or upset, I'm just trying to be there for a friend.

I set the note on my pillow and climb out the bed.

"He opened his eyes!" I say with so much excitement in my voice. "I feel like I can finally breathe. Thank you, God."

*****

I walk into Jason's room to see that Terrance and Kerri is damn near in the bed with him, and Kerri is excitedly talking his ear off. Jason isn't saying anything, but has a smile on his face. His eyes go to mine the moment that I enter the room. I give a tiny wave to him, trying to not cry at the sight of him.

"Hey." I say as I stand next to Kerri. I set my hands on the bed, smiling at him.

"Hey." Jason says back not taking his eyes off me.

"And so, I knew that you would pull through. I love you too much." Kerri gushes. "Don't ever scare us like that again, fool. We love you!"

I just smile, looking at Kerri as she continues to put mileage on her mouth. I really want to be alone to talk with him, but I don't want to make it too obvious. I thought that Kerri would know, but I'm sure that she's just so excited.

Jason grabs my hand and gives it a light squeeze, bringing my attention to him. Terrance clears his throat the moment that he sees Jason taking my hand.

"Baby, how about we get something to drink and snack on?"

"I'm not thirsty, anyhow . . . " She quickly brushes Terrance off. "I think we should throw you a party to celebrate."

I begin laughing, because Kerri is always trying to have a party.

"Kerri, get out." Jason says in a low voice.

I blush, looking down at his bed.

"Why? Okay, fine. You don't have to have a party. Maybe just a few friends and family. I defintely believe that you should celebrate that you are - - -"

"He wants to be alone with Mel, girl." Terrance interrupts her. "Let's go."

"Oh." She grins at Jason and me. "Speak up." She gives him a loose hug, making sure not to hurt him. "I love you so much, boy."

"Please go." He begs her in a weak voice.

"Okay. I'm leaving. Come on, Terrance."

I watch as Terrance and Kerri walk towards the door. Kerri turns around and gives us a big goofy grin. She blows a kiss our way and then walks out the door. I don't turn back to Jason, until she closes the door after herself. Now we're completely alone.

Jason clears his throat and pulls me closer to him. I sit on the edge of his bed and give him a sad smile, because there's so many things to tell him. They way we left things the last time we talked was awful.

"I'm sorry." I look down at our hands. "I . . . shouldn't have said the things that I said. I love you so much." I look up into his eyes. I've been wanting to look into his eyes for the last ten days. "You scared me. You . . . I had thought I lost you."

"Can't lose me, Mel." He sounds so weak, when he speaks.

I smile at his words. He said I can't lose him. I lay my head on his shoulder, and Jason squeezes my hand again. Tears of happiness runs down my face. I don't know what this means for us, but at least we're talking a little.