37 - MELISSA

Melissa

"When my parents gave me permission to date, I instantly thought about you. I wanted you to be my girlfriend."

I look at him, learning something new.

"Girls were trying to get with me, since the day we stepped into that school. I got caught up in all the hype with sex, and I knew you weren't ready. You're a good girl. I often thought I wasn't good enough for you, because my past relationships were pretty bad."

Jason eyes meet mine, and I just stare at him in disbelief. He felt he wasn't good enough for me?

Jason doesn't take his eyes off me. "Then, I realized that I have had one good relationship through all the drama. You."

Me? I stare at him speechless.

*****

I pull into the parking space at the beach and quickly jump out the car. The whole time I'm praying to myself that nothing goes down. I don't know why Cameron feels the need to fight my battles. I can fight my own battles. I don't need a man doing that for me. The moment that I step out the car, I catch Kerri a few cars away, slamming the car door shut.

I run up to the car, trying to catch her. "Kerri!"

She whips around at the sound of my voice, and I notice immediately how she keeps her left arm behind her back. I point to her arm with an eyebrow raised.

"I have to get back to the beach. Now. And you need to bring your pretty, trouble starting ass with me."

"What is that behind your back?" I try to grab her arm, but she doesn't budge.

"Calm down. Terrance asked me to . . . " She stops in mid sentence, shaking her head. "What happened that you thought it was okay for you to send Cameron up here? I mean, with his family and shit?"

My eyes widen at her mentioning his family. "I . . . I . . . didn't. I didn't . . . send . . . send anyone." I stumble over my words.

"It was just a fucking argument between you and him! You guys always argue and then get back right. You shouldn't need me to fix your shit with him all the fucking time. I don't get paid for it."

I just look at her, wondering what the hell is she talking about. Nobody asked her to get us back together. In fact, I'm growing content that Jason and I might get divorced. It took a little time, but I'm realizing that Cameron is the guy that I'm going to end up with.

Kerri gives a deep sigh. "And then y'all ignorant asses brought the shit to my party. Yeah, he was foul for bringing that twig to my party, but you're wrong too."

"How?" I wasn't going to say too much about the situation, because it's over. I just need to understand how I am guilty of anything. The only thing I'm guilty of is loving Jason and trying to move on and repair my broken heart.

"Cameron!" Kerri shouts as though this should be an obvious answer. "You moved in with him way too fucking soon. You didn't think of anyone, but yourself!"

What? "I thought about my baby!" I scream back at her. "What the fuck type of world do you and Jason live in? I am having a baby! I'll be damned if I do this shit alone, because he has shit for brains!"

"Would it have killed you to actually wait for him? You know he loves you. I told you that!"

I cross my arms and roll my eyes. She told me a lot of shit, but obviously she was also always covering for him. I hope she didn't think that I forgot about that. I forgave her, because I love her like a sister, but I definitely didn't forget.