53 - MELISSA

Melissa

"It's a slap in the face that I want the best for our child, when we have one?"

His face softens and he stoops down so that we're at eye level. "You want the best for our child, when we have one, right?" I nod silently. "So you see us having a baby together in the future?"

I smile at his words. "Yes. I see a couple of them running around driving us crazy."

Jason nods. "Mel, I don't like when you say things like lets see what happens with us. Baby, we're going to always be together no matter what. If you don't want a baby, because you think we're not ready and we got things to do, that's fine. We will wait. If you don't want a baby, because you doubt we will make our relationship work through long distance and whatever life throws at us, that's a problem. Which is your reason?"

*****

I sit on the front porch outside my house later in the same day. I had told Jason that I had to grab some things from my house and that I had to say my goodbyes to my mother and Charles. In reality, I had called Cameron to come meet me at the house.

At first, I was just going to leave without saying a word to him, because I didn't think he deserved any type of explanation from me. I mean, the boy isn't the same person that he claimed to be last year. And to think, I risked my entire future with Jason to be with Cameron. I was such a silly girl to fall for all his charms, thinking that the grass is greener on the other side. Lesson learned, and I will never lose what I have ever again.

Cameron pulls his car into my drive way and takes his sweet time getting out the car. I walk down the steps and just stand there, waiting for him to walk up to me.

"So, you're leaving me, huh? I woke up to your shit being gone."

I nod and toss him his car keys. Cameron catches the keys and gives a tiny nod.

"Look, I'm walking away for real this time. When the baby is born, you can take a test. Other than that, please don't bother me. You and I really don't have much to say to one anther, until the baby is born."

Cameron nods his head, looking down. "I know it's probably too late to say this, but I am sorry about putting my hands on you. I shouldn't have done that."

"No, you shouldn't have." I say, quietly. "Honestly, you and I should have never happened. All this . . . " I make hand gestures to the both of us. "Shouldn't have happened. I don't know when and how everything had gotten out of control, but it shouldn't have happened."

"I really do love you, Mel." He peeks up at me for a second.

"I love you too, but it's nothing like the love that I have for Jason. My heart beats for him. I'm sorry." I really did think that I can move on from him, but I was sadly mistaken.

Jason has stolen my heart for the keeping. I know that we've had our bad times and our good times, but I'm willing to try with him ONE more time. Maybe the time away from one another had taught us both lessons on loving each other correctly. I know it sure did teach me to be respectful to the love that we shared. It taught me not take for granted of our love. I want to see our love soar and see what we can do for one another. He will never have to share me again.

Cameron nods and tosses the keys back at me, and I catch it. "I told you that this was a graduation gift. I don't take shit back. You keep the car."

I really don't know how Jason will feel about me keeping the car. If it came from anyone, but Cameron . . . I'm sure there wouldn't be problem.

"Thanks."

Cameron turns around and heads back to his car. He turns back around and looks at me. "Hey, can I be in the room, when the baby is born. Please?"