34 - JASON

Jason

I glance at my watch for the fourth time in the last ten minutes. It's ten minutes after six. Mel hasn't shown up yet. I really want to ask Kerri to call her and ask her where she is, but I'm not trying to be a bug. I look up to see that Ashlee and Kerri are talking with one another. I really don't know how to get rid of her. I feel like shit, because I know that if Mel gives me the chance, I will surely walk out this party with her . . . And just tell Kerri and Terrance to give Ashlee a ride back to my place.

Ashlee looks up at me with a smile on her face. I've been distant with her all day. I'm sure she noticed this. She just didn't say anything to me about it. It's something about being around my familiar surroundings that makes me miss Mel even more. Ashlee says something to Kerri and then makes her way to me. Kerri blows me a kiss and walks off to go mingle.

I meet Ashlee halfway and pull her into my arms. "How are you enjoying yourself?"

She digs her toes in the sand, looking down. She looks back at me. "I'm okay. Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Yeah, baby."

"You haven't drank anything." I don't say anything, but I probably need a drink to ease my mind a little. "How long are we staying?" She puts her arms around my waist, looking up at me.

"I don't know." As long as it takes my pretty baby to walk in this party.

"Let me take you to dinner."

I shake my head. "There's food here, baby. Just grab a plate and enjoy yourself. We're going to be here for a while."

She nods her head and looks around. "What's wrong, Jason? Talk to me. I feel like something is off with you." She turns back to me. "Is she here and that's why you've been different with me?"

I shake my head, looking into her eyes. I should have never gotten involved with her. "I just want - - -"

"My baby is here!" I recognize Kerri's loud voice over the music. "And she is gorgeous!" I look up, following Kerri's voice. Kerri is hugging Mel, laughing.

I can't take my eyes off Mel's big smile. I can't believe that she really is here by herself. No Cameron. She has on a white summer dress, but I can tell that she has on her yellow bikini underneath it. She has a cap on her head, but I can see that her hair is in loose curls.

I smile a little at how she does a twirl for Kerri to show off her dress. Damn, my baby is so damn pretty. She moves a little to the song playing, being silly with Kerri. I literally can't take my eyes off her as she moves her body to the beat of the song. I remember when my baby could barely move. When we started having sex, my baby learn to move her body a little better each day.

I finally realize that I'm drooling over her and take my eyes off her to look at Ashlee. Ashlee is looking at Kerri and Melissa. I can see that she is already comparing herself to Mel. There is no comparison. Yeah, Ashley is a pretty girl with a decent body, but Mel is my baby.

I clear my throat to get her attention. She turns to me quickly with a little smile on her face. "That's Melissa." I know that Ashlee seen Melissa before, but she must have forgotten how she looked, or wasn't paying attention.

"Your ex . . . I mean, wife." We both turn to look at Melissa as she continues to chat it up with Kerri.

I'm really hoping that Kerri would send her my way.

"She's pretty."

I don't say anything as I continue to look at her. She takes her cap off and put it in her beach bag. She bends down and pull her flip flops off and tosses them into her bag.