57 - MELISSA

Melissa

I watch as he licks his lips and know that at this instant that I have to get away from him. I hate that I'm attracted to him. I hate that I like talking to him. Damn, life is cruel.

He looks back at me, smiling a little. "You want to kiss me, huh?" His smile is wider as he shows his teeth.

I push him, angrily. "No! I have to go."

As I turn away from him, he grabs my hand. I look into his eyes, and he smirks at me. "The next song I play is for you. Remember that."

Cameron lets go of my hand and continues to the restroom. I stare after him, until I can't see him anymore.

*****

I slide my hand across the bed with my eyes closed, reaching for Jason. When I don't feel him in the bed, I open my eyes a little.

"Jay?" I call out for him, sitting up in the bed. "Jason." I swing my legs on the side of the bed, grabbing my phone for the time. I have no idea where he could be at three in the morning. I stifle a yawn as I slide my feet into his house shoes. I walk out the room and open the bathroom door a little. "Jason?" No answer.

I open the door to the spare room, wondering if maybe he stayed up doing job applications online. When I see the room is empty, I continue to the baby's room. I push open the door and glance inside. He's not in the there either. I rub my eyes and dial his number into my phone. I try to remain calm and not let my mind think the worse from him, but why would he sneak out in the middle of the night?

I walk into the living room as his phone rings. I take a seat on the couch, biting the inside of my lip.

"On my way." He answers the phone on the third ring. "I got a little held up at the store, baby. I'm sorry."

"At the store?" I tilt my head to the side and frown a little. What the hell could he possibly need at the store?

"Yeah, I had to get some garbage bags, but I'm coming up the stairs now."

I can't help, but to notice how he sounds a bit out of breath. I end the call and toss the phone beside me, staring at the front door. I might have let it go that he became a little ho the moment that we broke up, but this shit isn't going to ride. I stay fixated on the door, waiting for him to walk through the door.

Jason walks through the door with his shirt all wrinkled and wet stains on it. He looks me dead in my eyes, before tossing his phone and keys on the entertainment center.

"Where are the garbage bags?" I notice right away that he doesn't have any damn garbage bags in his hand.

Jason licks his lips a little, looking at me as though he doesn't want to talk about what he's been up to. "They ran out. I guess I will have to get some tomorrow." He mumbles his words, heading to our bedroom.

I jolt up from the couch and follow him, folding my arms across my chest. "So, we so desperately needed garbage bags that you snuck out the house in the middle of the night to get some? That's new."

"Can we talk in the morning?" He turns around to look at me, before taking his shirt off and tossing it on the dresser. "I'm tired, and I haven't slept at all."

"No, we can't talk in the morning. Are you serious? You walked through our door, talking about purchasing garbage bags, but you don't have any." My voice cracks a little.

Jason takes a seat on the edge of our bed, hanging his head low. He finally looks up at me. "I just want to lay down with you."

"I'm sure. Why don't you lay down with whoever you were laying down with."