64 - JASON

Jason

I look up the moment that I hear footsteps entering the kitchen. Mel walks in, rubbing her stomach. I smile at her, popping the last piece of my pop tarts inside my mouth.

"How you feeling?" I ask her, because she's been sort of quiet today. I noticed that she ran off earlier at the party and that she distanced herself from everyone. She had crept off and went to lay down in the basement. I really didn't want to bother her, because I know that this is all really hard for her.

Mel walks over to the kitchen table and pull out a chair. She sits down, looking at the table for what seems like a long time. She finally brings her gaze to me, making me a bit nervous.

I clear my throat a little. "So, Leslie is okay with me taking my son home with us. She just said that I can have him for a month, but at least it's something."

Mel nods her head. "That's great, baby."

I notice by the sound of her voice that something isn't right with her, but I'm not about to ask her a million questions. When she wants talk, she will talk. We're getting too old to play this game, whenever she wants to talk to me.

"Yeah. You enjoyed your nap?"

She nods her head yes. "I needed it. Lately, I've been so tired. Sorry if it appeared that I was rude, leaving you with everyone up here."

She doesn't mean it. I can tell just by looking in her eyes. "It's fine." I respond to her. I care that she left the party, but not enough to kick off an argument with her.

My son is finally here and he's a healthy boy, and I'll be able to take him home with me for a little amount of time. I have my wife in my life and in my corner, working on us. I might have a daughter on the way. I'm not about to feed into the negative energy that Mel is giving off. She probably just needs to be dick down. When we get back inside the basement, I plan on putting her ass to sleep.

Mel clears her throat a little and leans back in her seat, fixated on me. "We need to talk about something serious."

I hate her tone and her whole demeanor. I will never like hearing these words, because it's never anything good. I tuck my bottom lip into my mouth and nod my head. "About what?"

"I . . . um. . . . Well, I feel like . . . " She looks away from me for a second.

It's never a good sign, when my baby starts stuttering. I keep my eyes on her, waiting for her to finish her sentence.

Mel plays with her hands, looking back in my eyes. "I don't know how to say what I want to say. I don't want you to get upset with me. I just want to tell you how I feel."

"I'm listening." I don't take my eyes off her.

"I think you should take a DNA test. I mean, you're taking one for my daughter and you should take one for all your kids. Just to be sure." She breathes out really fast. I barely caught her words, but what I did catch was her telling me that I need to test my son.

I frown up a little. "What?" I just want to hear her reasoning one more time. I could have been wrong, but I thought she said because I'm testing her baby. Well, we all know why I'm testing her baby.

Mel licks her lips. "You're testing this baby, and I think that you should test him." She's barely audible.

Oh, so she did say that. "I'm testing that baby, because you cheated. You forgot that?" I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but I can't believe that she's bringing this to me. I knew she was a little jealous by her actions, but this shit is crazy.

"He doesn't look like you." She whispers, looking at the table. "He's dark." She says this really low. I'm not sure that she wanted me to hear her, but I did.