55 - MELISSA

Melissa

Jason nods his head. "I get it. It won't happen again."

I trace his lips with my finger, looking in his eyes. "Do you love me?"

"You know I do. That's why I want you to talk to me. I don't want to argue with you and have sex like everything is great. Hell, I didn't know that you were still upset about the kiss, until right now. I want to be with you. Marry you. Have children. Everything. We're young, but I want all those things with you. In order for us to have that, we have to build a strong foundation."

I nod. "I agree."

"Don't push me away, when you're upset." He kisses my shoulder softly. "I want to know every little thing you feel." He brings his lips to mine, giving me tiny pecks. "This is more than some high school relationship, babe." I giggle against his lips putting my arms around his neck. "I love you, Melissa."

*****

I can't stop thinking about Kayla and everything that she had said. She had accused my husband of sleeping with my best friend. As I fix breakfast for him, my mind still replays that conversation. It's not like I want to believe that him and Kerri were together in such a way. It's just hard for my thoughts not to go there, because I recently found Jason wasn't faithful to Ashlee. I recently learned that he was pretty much doing whatever he wanted to do. I didn't realize that things were this bad without me in his life.

I half expected him to be honest and tell me the truth about everything that he's been up to. I mean, he knows all that I was doing. The fact that Jason didn't feel the need to share with me that there were more than one girl, sort of bothers me.

Jason walks into the kitchen with a t-shirt on and jogging pants and makes direct eye contact with me. We haven't shared many words, since waking up. When he got up, he pulled the mattress out of his bedroom and threw it in the alley behind the building. He didn't say a single word to me as he did this. I know that he most likely thinks that I'm being difficult, but I wasn't going to sleep in that bed that he slept with who knows how many girls.

Jason walks over to the counter, eyeing the food. I slide his plate over to him, keeping my eyes on him. Why do things feel so awkward between us? Have we been apart this long that things are weird between us? Or maybe it's just me knowing that he was with more than one girl. Or maybe in the back of my mind I wonder if him and Kerri ever did anything.

I lean over my plate, picking at my eggs. I make a mental note to give Kerri a call some time today to find out what's going on.

Jason clears his throat, causing me to look up at him. "Thanks for breakfast."

"Thanks for tossing the mattress."

"Not a big deal."

There's a few seconds of silence between us. I glance at Jason to find him picking at his food in deep thought. He looks up, catching me looking at him. I turn away from him in a hurry and go back to my food.

"Do you trust me?"

I find myself frowning up at his question. What type of question is this?

"I'm just asking, because you've been kind of weird after the whole Kayla thing. I know that you're still wondering if I did anything with Kerri."

I bring my attention to him, while he stares at the food on his plate. We may not be the same around one another, but he still knows me well.

"I didn't sleep with Kerri, Mel." Jason pokes a fork into his eggs, twirling it on the plate. "I don't look at her like that. I've never looked at her like that. It hurts that you could think for a second that Kerri and I have done anything." He finally looks into my eyes, revealing all the pain that he feels. "I'm not perfect at all, but I do know what lines not to cross. I apologized to you already for Kayla and . . . " He licks his lips. "For coming home and finding out that there were two girls that I was messing with. I wasn't going to tell you about her, because I didn't think it mattered."

"Why wouldn't it matter?

"Because it happened while we weren't together. She didn't mean anything to me." He goes back to looking at the food on his plate. "I just want you, Mel. I don't want my past actions to deter us from what we're trying to work on. That was the past."

I nod my head in understanding, pushing my plate away. I can't eat when I get upset. Jason eyes follow my movements and he shakes his head at me pushing my plate away. He sets his fork on the counter.

"I'm about to go to the store and see if I can get a new mattress deliver here some time today. If we get one today, I want some."

I quickly turn to him, frowning. This boy didn't just say that he wants some tonight. Is he serious? We're still arguing about his actions with Kayla. "What?"

Jason looks me dead in my eyes with no emotions on his face. "I'm about to go buy us a mattress. When I get one, I want us to make love. We're not about to argue about something I did before us. We agreed to work on this relationship and all is forgiven. If you want this as badly as I do, you will drop it. I'm not thinking about Kayla, or Ashlee. I'm thinking about you and us. That's it."

"It's more complicat - - -"

"No, it's not, Mel." Jason stares at me. "You know that I'm horrible at faking. If I didn't want this with you, I would tell you." He looks around the kitchen and then meet my gaze again. "I'm not trying to fight with you. Hell, I always lose. Let's just agree that I did some really bad things during our break and leave it as that."

"I'm not trying to fight." I whisper. How could he think that all I care about is winning an argument?

He takes a step closer to me, hovering over me. I look up at him, feeling so small. Jason kisses my forehead a little. "I am yours, Mel. I have always been yours. I wouldn't hurt you."

"I know. I think."

Jason searches my eyes. "You think?"

"Yeah, because you cheated on Ashlee with Kayla. Then - - -"

"You can't compare how I treated Ashlee with how I treat you." He keeps his eyes on me. "Yeah, she didn't deserve that, but I only know how to love you. You're the only girl that I can love."

"This is our last chance, and I want to make sure you understand it. I just don't want to raise a child in a dysfunctional household." I nervously maintain eye contact with him.

"With all due respect, baby, you are the one who kind of brought dysfunction to our relationship." I narrow my eyes at his words, and a tiny smile forms on his face. Ugh. I can't stand him. "I love you more." He says quietly, studying my eyes.

"I love you too, ass." I roll my eyes at him.

"No, you love me more." A cocky smile plays on his lips.

I break into an unwanted smile, wishing to stay upset with him. He isn't allowing it. He continues to look down at me, watching my every move.

"I do love you more." I reply back to him.

"I said it first." Jason tilts his head to the side, still watching me. I don't break eye contact with him. "Am I going to get some tonight?"

"Yes."

He nods his head. "I'll be back." He turns around and takes a couple steps away from me. He turns back around, looking at me. "We're going move forward from here, so lets leave all that stuff here, until we go to counseling. Then, you can curse me out about whatever." He smiles a little. "Agree?"

I nod my head yes. "Okay."

Jason takes a long look at me. "If you only knew how miserable I was without you, you wouldn't question if my heart is in the right place. It's fine, because I'll show you. I'll show you every day." He turns back around and walk out the kitchen.

*****

A/N: Back to back updates on this story today. So, I just want to take the time out to thank you guys for sticking with this story, voting, commenting . . . The few of you who do. I realized that I still have a long ways to go with this story, because I'm being hella stubborn about doing a fourth book on Jason and Melissa. It will end with this one. Lol. I will not reveal anything, but we still have Leslie being pregnant and finding out who is Melissa's baby's father. Which that will be revealed near the very end. Yes, I'm horrible, and I know this. With that said . . . I'm going to try to make at least ten updates today. At the least get to the part that Leslie has her baby. Enjoy. Thanks again!!