56 - JASON

Jason

I pull the mail out the mail box, hoping that there are no bills. I haven't told Mel, but my father wants me to take responsibilities of my own utilities. Before we left Chicago a few days ago, he had told me that I need to get a job and take care of myself. He still agreed to take care of the rent and everything else, but he said that I should really consider getting a job. The simple fact is that Leslie is having my baby and Mel is having a baby that I'm volunteering myself to raise as my own. I hate calling my father, telling him that I need money for whatever. I think I'm getting too grown to rely on my parents to take care of me. Hell, I have a wife and a baby that's about to be born soon.

Our first day in Atlanta was horrible, but it's been days since we argued over Kayla and how badly I treated Ashlee. I've been looking for a job almost on a constant basis. I'm just trying to make sure Mel knows that I got her. I can't do everything for her that Cameron did for her, but I will always make sure she's good. As long as I have air in my lungs, this girl will never have to worry about anything.

In the last few days, I've been feeling less than a man that I'm not able to provide for her. I keep thinking about how Cameron bought her a brand new fucking car, when all that I gave her were a couple thousands to get a used car. I try not to let it bother me, but it does. I'm just scared that she'll go run and ask Cameron for something, because she thinks that I can't handle my family.

I walk upstairs, flipping through the mail. A light bill and the car insurance bill. I pull out my phone and send my dad a quick text to let him know that I have to pay these two bills. This is another reason why I have to get a job. I have to check in with my father where every damn dime is going. It's actually getting tiresome and frustrating.

When I had to buy us a new mattress a few days ago, I lied to my father and told him that we had bed bugs and had to get one. Of course, I don't think he bought that shit, but he didn't say anything. I felt like I had to buy a new mattress, because it's what Mel wanted. The look in her eyes after Kayla told her that I was dicking her down, torn me up inside. She doubts me, and I need my baby to know that we're going to make us work. So, if she wanted a new mattress, she would get her new mattress.

I walk into the front door, eyeing Mel sleeping on the couch. I've been gone for most of the day, because I had to take care of registration for my classes and speak to some people at the school. I also went on two job interviews. I set the mail down on the television stand. I walk over to the couch and lift her feet up. I take a seat and put her feet on my legs, looking at her face. Her hand is laying on the side of her stomach that's bulged a little. I guess that's where the baby is balled up at. I watch her stomach move a little bit and Mel taps her stomach a little. I smile at how cute this sight is. I vow to give this girl everything inside me, or I'm going to die trying.

Mel moves her feet a little. Before she can open her eyes, I lean over her and kiss her lips. She smiles a little at the touch of my lips against hers.

"How was your interview?" She asks me in a groggy voice.

"Good." I kiss her again on the lips.

Mel giggles and tries to push me away from her. "Baby, I'm hot."

"I see that." I tease her.

Mel lays on her back, opening her legs, so that I can have easy access to kissing her. I make sure not to lay on her, because of her stomach. She sits up a little bit and meets me halfway for a kiss. I continue to give her small pecks.

I can't believe that she actually doubt that we will make it. Doesn't she know that I'm stupid in love with her? Mel glances at me from underneath her eyelashes with a teasing smile on her face. She pulls my cap off my head and puts it on her head, smiling widely at me.