65 - MELISSA

Melissa

Jason looks back at me with the same sad eyes. "You love me?"

"Yes." He knows this. What's going on?

"I'll be able to get your ring in maybe a couple of months. My father is going to loan me some money."

Wait. How did we get on the subject of my ring? He knows that I don't care how long it takes him to get the ring. I stop walking and stand in front of Jason. Jason looks down at me in my eyes. He's keeping something from me.

"Did you cheat on me?" I ask him one more time. "Don't lie."

"If I was going to cheat on you, do you really think I would have told you where I was going?"

"Then what are you not telling me?"

He looks up at the sky and closes his eyes. He looks back at me with tears in his eyes. "Leslie is pregnant with my baby."

******

I sit cross-legged on the bed, shopping online. My wish list for my daughter seems to be growing longer and longer as the days pass by. Jason and I haven't really done any heavy shopping for her yet. I really want to get started, but I just don't want to push him, until he's ready.

My phone rings, and I glance at the screen. Cameron's name flashes on my screen. I close the laptop down and pick up the phone, placing it against my ear.

"Hello?"

"No text. No call. You had me waiting for about two hours at the train station. Was that the plan?"

"Of course not."

"Care to explain?"

"Not really. My marriage is already going through a lot of shit without me adding to it."

After talking to Jason in the kitchen, I decided to just let Cameron loose. My baby already knew that I was up to something. I just didn't think it was fair for me to continue to talk to Cameron, especially after he said he was going to give up Ashlee. I hate him talking to Ashlee. And for some odd reason, he feels like she gets him. No one understands him like I do. No one ever will.

"You might be carrying my daughter. We have to have some kind of communication."

"Calling me out in the middle of the night has nothing to do with your daughter. I'm not stupid." I roll my eyes, getting irritated with him. "You know that we were going to meet up for us. Nothing to do with Jessica."

"Jessica? Is that what we're naming her? When were we going to discuss this?"

"Never. It's not your business what I name my child." I say with my voice filled with attitude.

"It is, if it's my child. The fuck you talking about?"

Jason walks into the bedroom and drops his keys on the dresser. "We got to talk now."

"Um . . . Bye." I end the call with Cameron and quickly put my phone on silent mode. "What's up, baby?"

"That shit with Cameron is over. I'm not about to play these games with you. You're my wife, and you need to act like it. If I'm not doing something, you need to open up your mouth and talk to me." I raise an eyebrow with my mouth opened, slightly. I don't have any idea why he is walking through the door sounding so angry at me. I haven't done anything to him! "The next time you lied to me about Cameron, we're going to have problems. Real shit."

"Okay." I whisper, wanting this discussion to end. "I'm sorry. He wanted to see the ultrasound pictures."

"At night? Mel, stop playing me. We know each other too well to play this game."