44 - MELISSA

Melissa

"I can't do this with you."

He just lets go of my arm and stares at me. "Mel, you don't know what you're saying. Let me try."

I wipe my tears and start walking off again. This time, Jason stays where he is shouting my name. "Melissa!"

I keep walking like I don't hear him calling my name.

"I swear that if you don't turn around, I'm done!"

I turn the corner and my phone rings with a text, and I look at the phone and see it is from Jason. This man doesn't know when to give up. It's a lost cause. I open the message and feel tears come to my eyes.

*****

I park my car behind Jason's in front of his house. Jason was in the hospital for an entire month. His mom brought him home earlier today. Kerri got her way and he is having a small get together at his house. This is a combination of his birthday party and a celebration that he is home. My baby is going to be nineteen next week.

I look nervously at Cameron as I kill the engine. It wasn't my first choice to bring Cameron, but I know that at times that he is a little insecure about our relationship. I wanted him to see that Jason and I are just friends. Hell, I think. It's really hard to tell what we are, but I know that we've been getting close lately. I'm so confused

I take a deep breath and smile brightly at Cameron. "Let's go, baby."

Cameron doesn't say anything to me, but just nods. I really don't know what he's feeling, because he's been so distant lately. I know that he's dealing with a lot with his family, because of the shit with Marcus. I also know that he didn't like me visiting Jason hours a day. He must be so relieved that Jason is finally home. Little does he know that I will still check up on him.

"Let's do this." I mumble under my breath. I'm hella nervous about both boys being around each other.

I close my door and walk towards Cameron as he getting out the car. I grab his hand and give him a smile. Cameron tries to smile back at me, but I can tell that he's not feeling this shit. We walk together hand in hand up Jason's front porch. There's a note on the door that says that the party is in the back.

"We have to go around, babe."

I walk down the steps with Cameron. My heart races as we make our way to the backyard. I can hear the music and people having fun. I know that I'm an hour late. No, I didn't want to be the center of attention. It just took more time than I anticipated to get Cameron to be okay with this. He didn't want to come to this party. He didn't want me to come, but I felt like I have to show my support. Jason would have never forgave me if I didn't show up at his party.

I walk through the gates and smell the ribs on the grill immediately. I follow the smell and see that Nicholas is on the grill with his apron on and chef hat. He is taking it way too serious.

"Baby!" I turn to Kerri's voice. This girl is always making a big deal every single time that she sees me. "Cameron." She says in a dull voice.

"Kerri." He says in the same dull voice.

She smiles politely at him and grabs my hand. "I didn't think you were going to show up." She sneaks a look at Cameron, who is staring at her. "With your boyfriend."

I roll my eyes at her, letting go of her hand. "Stop that."

"Ashlee is here too. She caught the plane and got here last night. Evelyn picked her up from the airport and let her stay in the basement. You know, the one that used to be y'all home?"

I am going to have a serious talk with Kerri one of these days. I hate how she is talking like she doesn't see Cameron right by my damn side.

"That's nice of them." I reply with a tight smile on my face.

"Mmm . . . " She glances at me and Cameron. "Messes." She walks off.

I give Cameron an apologetic look. I know that his list is growing longer of why he hates Kerri. Hell, she is starting to make me hate her ass.

"Sorry."

"It fine. We're leaving in two hours. That's what we agreed on."

"At least try to look like you're okay with being here."

Cameron just looks at me. "I'm here, because your spoiled ass wasn't coming alone. I don't want to be here. I'm glad that he's okay, but it's never going to change - - -"

"Why you hate him so much?" This I don't understand. "He hasn't done anything to you. You're the one who disrespected the relationship that I had with him, but yet you harbor so much resentment towards him."

"Ma, I'm not doing this shit right now. You've been at the hospital all week with his ass. He should have sent your ass home."

"Stop cursing at me." I ask him, sounding sad. I let go of his hand and look down at the ground. I should have never came out with him. I should have just lied to him about where I was going. I'm trying not to go down that route with him.

Cameron puts his arm around my waist and pulls me closer to him. He brings his lips down to my ear. "I'm sorry. I'm just a little frustrated."

He's always a little frustrated. I really don't want to argue at this party, because I don't want Jason to know that there are problems in my relationship. I really don't want anyone to know. Cameron and I haven't been the greatest couple, since the day Jason came to Chicago

I hold back my tears and plaster a fake smile on my face. We will just talk later about how he has been acting towards me and about how he is being an asshole right now.