66 - JASON

Jason

I grab our luggage out of the trunk of the cabbie, while Mel pays him. This by far has been the worst week I've ever had. First, I find out that Leslie pretty much lied to me throughout her entire pregnancy. She waited for me to ask for a DNA test before telling me that she slept with someone else. I honestly thought that I was the only dude that she was with. Leslie had never cheated on me, but it never crossed my mind for a second that although she was my second choice, that I was her second choice as well.

I've been trying to keep myself from getting emotional over the whole ordeal, but I can't help it. The more I think about Jason Jr. the more that I realize that the boy doesn't look like me. It didn't bother me when he was born, because he was a newborn. I've done a lot of research in the last months about babies and a woman being pregnant, so it didn't bother me much that he didn't resemble me. I'm not the kind of dude to just flat out deny a child just because he doesn't look like me. I figured that his looks will come later on.

I let out a breath of air as I close the trunk. This week has been exhausting and emotionally draining. I'm trying so hard not to snap out and just let everyone have it. My son might not be my son.

The reason that my marriage is in the state that it's in now is because of the fact that Mel thought that I was having a baby with someone else. She stepped out on me, because she was too weak to deal with our situations at home. I close my eyes for a second, letting it sink in that if this isn't my baby, it means that we honestly wouldn't have been through all that hurt.

Mel places her hand on my shoulder, causing me to jump a little. She gives me a weak smile as she walks in front of me.

When Leslie broke the news to me, I try not to take out my feelings on Mel. It's just every single time I see her pregnant belly, I feel like shit. My son might not be my son, and my daughter might not be my daughter. The fuck is wrong with my world?

"Everything will be fine." Mel says softly, walking ahead of me and leaving the door of the building open for me. I swear it feels as though she could read my mind.

I notice Ashlee coming off the elevator with a couple of her friends. She tries to make eye contact with me, but I don't bother to look at her. After having a serious talk with Mel about her and Cameron, and Ashlee and I, I knew that I would have to let my friend go. It isn't fair for me to keep holding on to Ashlee, because at times Mel makes marriage life difficult.

Mel pushes the button for the elevator and glances at me every few seconds. Things have been sort of awkward, since finding out that we may not be dealing with Leslie for the rest of our lives. I wonder if she's secretly happy, but just doesn't show it. She held me and cried with me, but it doesn't mean that she isn't celebrating Leslie's deceitful lies.

When the elevator comes, she steps on and waits for me to get on behind her, before pushing the button for the fourth floor. She keeps sneaking looks at me. I know that she's just trying to give me space, because she probably believes that's what I need. I've been sort of distant with her, trying to prepare myself for the worst possible news.

"If I never found out about you and Cameron, would you have eventually told me the truth?" I don't know what makes me ask her this question.

She darts her eyes to me and a look of confusion flash across them. "You don't honestly think that I would have kept something like that to myself, because it benefits me, right?"

"I don't know. You weren't going tell me that you possibly had feelings for Cameron, or the fact that it could have been his child. He told me that shit in the most disrespectful manner."

She walks out the elevator and completely ignore my words, so I take this as an opportunity to keep talking.

"You weren't going to tell me, huh?"