38 - MELISSA

Melissa

"You're such a cheater, Jason!"

He sits up in the sand and wipes the sand off the back of his head. I just lay there, looking at him. He looks down at me and realizes I'm not bother by the sand. He throws some on my pants, and I giggle throwing some on him.

"Stop it!"

He laughs as he keeps me from getting up. I fall next to him in a fit of laughter. Jason lays his head on my stomach, and I wrap my arms around him out of breath. I rub his head as he starts to tickle me. I try to push him off me, but he is too strong for me.

"Stop it, Jason, I'm going to pee on myself!" He gets up and starts laughing at me as he heads toward his bike.

I sit up and watch as he dusts himself off, before getting on the bike. He grins at me as he takes off quickly, "Last one to our tree is a rotten tomato!"

I hurry and get up as he speeds away laughing. Jason can be so unfair at times! I run to my bike and hop on as fast as I could.

*****

I watch the sunrise as I stand outside in front of the hospital. I must have been standing out here alone for the last hour lost in my own thoughts. There are so many things that I wish I didn't say, or do to Jason. I wish that he really knew how I felt about him.

Jasmine steps beside me and eyes me nervously. I don't even look at her as I continue to stare ahead of myself.

Jasmine clears her throat a little. "I spoke to Cameron. He's really worried about you. You should call him."

Cameron is the very last person that I want to talk to. I don't even want to hear, or think his name. I wish that he didn't exist.

"He didn't do this. Marcus did. I don't know what happened at the beach, but . . . "

I don't show any emotion as I just continue to watch the sun come up.

"I guess Jason was getting the best of Cameron, and Marcus . . ." She takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I'm here to help you get through this."

I finally turn to Jasmine. "We're not friends, so you can't help me get through anything."

Jasmine looks stun by my words, but quickly recovers. "I know. I've always tried to be your friend."

I turn away from her, realizing maybe I was a little harsh towards her. I can't take my frustration out on her. It's not fair.

"Look, I just came out here to tell you it wasn't Cam. I love my brother, but I wouldn't lie for him. You need to call him, because he's really concerned."

"Why isn't he here?" I scream at her. "If he is so fucking concerned about me, why isn't he here with me, helping me?" The floodgates open up for the hundredth time tonight. "Where is he?"

Jasmine lifts her arms up and hesitate a bit, before bringing me in for a hug. I wrap my arms around her neck, sobbing.

"Jasmine, I don't love your brother like I love Jason." I pull away from her to look in her eyes. "I know that he loves me and he does so much, but I don't love him the same. I fake with him. Everything."

Jasmine eyes quickly fills up with tears as she nods.

"Jason has always been my number one choice. He . . . I feel empty without him." I take a deep breath. "I feel lost. And I feel like all of this is my fault. I should have been a good wife. I should have not gave in to Cameron."

"Shhh . . . " She pulls me to lay my head on her shoulder.

I wrap my arms around her waist, sobbing and crying. "I wish he knew that I didn't hate him. I wish he understood that I'm so in love with him. I wish that we never argued and that . . . " I'm sobbing so much that it's difficult to talk. "this baby is his. I want him to pull through."